Scan Gage II vs UltraGauge EM - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Scan Gage II vs UltraGauge EM

any one have ultragauge em they seem to be the same as the scan gage 2 but price wise are the big different! let me know what you guys think of these 2? and seems to me scangauge 2 are out all over and ultragauge em is something new i found out today...

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

http://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?...&products_id=8

Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Scan Gage II vs UltraGauge EM

umm...

dude, I got both. have had the scangauge for about 4 or so years. the ultragauge for about a year.

personally I think the scangauge is easier to navigate and has a few other perks like a removable cord. the cord in my cavalier is routed through to make for a clean installation but I can take it off and check out someone elses car with a spare cord.

I will admit that I haven't played much with the ultragauge as it is in my spare vehicle but it definitely does the job.

I am probably very biased too because I got the scangauge first. if i were to have gotten the ultragauge first, my bias may be completely the opposite.

also realize that the $9 rebate is quite a hassle.

either will do the job and very well. scangauge also has a smaller one that shows less but is less expensive though I don't think it is what you want.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
umm...

dude, I got both. have had the scangauge for about 4 or so years. the ultragauge for about a year.

personally I think the scangauge is easier to navigate and has a few other perks like a removable cord. the cord in my cavalier is routed through to make for a clean installation but I can take it off and check out someone elses car with a spare cord.

I will admit that I haven't played much with the ultragauge as it is in my spare vehicle but it definitely does the job.

I am probably very biased too because I got the scangauge first. if i were to have gotten the ultragauge first, my bias may be completely the opposite.

also realize that the $9 rebate is quite a hassle.

either will do the job and very well. scangauge also has a smaller one that shows less but is less expensive though I don't think it is what you want.
I'll more likely get the ultragauge for price wise and did watch a few vids on utube i came close buying scangauge 2 a few times a used one for my superchaged buick regal that i had for KR knock retard scan..i already had the factory mpg gauge..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I have the SGII. The UG didn't exist when I got it. I would get the UG now if I was in the market. It's a much better value. The SGII has some distinct advantages but not enough for the price, IMO. My whole reason for wanting to save fuel (and read codes!) is to save money, after all.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have the SGII, and I sometimes fiddle with the idea of paying the $25 to upgrade it for the xgauge. At $100, the scangaugeE looks like a good alternate to the SGII if cost is a priority. You lose 2 displays, the xgauge, and performance monitor. It does display a graph showing consumption above or below your average over time. The graph might take the place of the instant mpg for some. In which case, it only lost 1 display.

The SGs can linked for increased readouts for the, um, touched.

A reply from Linear Logic stated they assemble the units in the US. In the past they were very hands on in customer support. Don't if that's still true, or if they got too big, but I never had problems.

The UG is prettier, and has options beyond velcro for mounting. That would have made it easier to switch the SGII between cars for trips.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

top left to right top
RPM 3443 inst mpg 31.4
tps 26.6% middle avg mpg 27.6
fuel lev 11.5 dte 318.7

this was at 80 mph with the cavalier in wolf pack i am very happy with it i love the new gauge
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

The UG is packaged more nicely and has more room for displays, though IMHO the SG is a little easier to use. Also note that the SG is made in the USA. The price difference is hard to overcome or justify, though.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

How about automatic transmission fluid temperature? The regular Scangauge II w/XGauge can do it with an XGauge. Can the Ultragauge or the ScanGaugeE show that?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

The scangaugeE doesn't have xgauge. Beyond the the mpg graph, which cane be set for a goal mpg, it has gauges for daily fuel cost, current CO2, and day's CO2, as exclusives over the sgII.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

All this costly nonsense to save some lousy fuel, has anyone done the math?
If I drive 10 thousand miles a year and I can improve my fuel mileage 20 percent...
Is it worth the $300 for the dang gauge?
Well, is it?

Even at today's prices $300 would buy at least 75 gallons of fuel and to be worthwhile this item would have to pay for itself in the first year, preferrably in the first 6 months, otherwise it's just not worth the time and trouble.

I put a vacuum gauge in my truck.
$20 over and done.