Scan gauge Tank MPH Avg - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Scan gauge Tank MPH Avg

I just noticed that the scan gauge will give you a MPH avg for a tank of gas. Does anyone use this function to track there MPG? Granted the faster the avgerage the more the MPG but this might be a good way to quantify driving condition. My driving routine varies so this would help with whether it was city, mixed or highway driving. Or do you think the change in averages would not be enough to worry about and in the end MPG is MPG just get the best you can.
For those that have been tracking it does it change much between city, mixed or highway?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

I use it...

I tend to check the tank mpg readout at the end of the day or after a segment to see how I have impacted my average. That gives me motivation to push harder for better FE on the next segment or trip. I have only had my Scangauge for a week or so but it has been a great tool so far. I drive with the instant FE gauge displayed so that I can see how my behavior impacts consuption. It's amazing what a small change in throttle position can do!

If I want to compare city vs. highway vs. whatever I look at the "current" or "today" display. It makes more sense for me because my tank averages are generally a composite of various driving conditions.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

i was thinking about this

i was thinking about this today. i haven't been recording avg speed for each tank, but i'm going to start, as well as recording that info in the gaslog.

i hope other scangauge users will too. as zpiloto points out, it will be another useful data point.

--

i tend not to look at the instant FE screen *because* it changes so rapidly. it takes too much of my attention off the driving!

for short trips, i find using the home:trip:current screen suits me better. as long as i haven't traveled a long distance, small changes are still reflected immediately in the average so i still know right away what hurts and what helps. on longer trips, i often reset the current mpg several times to retain the faster avg response.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
FE nut

I've had my Scanguage for a

I've had my Scanguage for a couple of years now and I had heard that they were updated recently. Mine doesn't track the tank average. It only does current, today, and yesterday mileage. :-( Fran had told me that they were going to do this at some time but I didn't know when. I may have to sell mine on Ebay or something and get a new one. I really only use the Scanguage to keep my driving habits in line and rely on the fill-up method to figure mpg so I guess it's not really that big of a deal.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

i read on another board that

i read on another board that you may be able to send the unit in and have it re-flashed with the newest code. you may not have to buy a new one. contact the guy who makes them.

(and while you're at it, could you find out from him if the SG knows how to interpret a fuel shut off event, i.e. fully closed throttle at high rpm? so far i know of 3 SG users who say it doesn't recognize it.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
FE nut

Quote:i read on another

Quote:
i read on another board that you may be able to send the unit in and have it re-flashed with the newest code. you may not have to buy a new one. contact the guy who makes them.
Thanks for the info! You may have saved me a bundle of cash. I'll send them an email and see what I can find out.

Quote:
(and while you're at it, could you find out from him if the SG knows how to interpret a fuel shut off event, i.e. fully closed throttle at high rpm? so far i know of 3 SG users who say it doesn't recognize it.)
I think I've noticed the same with my SG. I'll ask about that too. Maybe I'll wait until they agree to re-flash my unit. ;-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote