ScanGaugeE or ScanGaugeII - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Red face ScanGaugeE or ScanGaugeII

Hello everyone, I am new to Gassaver form. Wanted to buy a gauge but not sure which gauge to go with? ScanGaugeE is half of the price. I am just looking for basic MPG calculation. Does anyone own ScanGaugeE or how many bells and whistle is missing?

GasSavers_Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: ScanGaugeE or ScanGaugeII

another option might be the ultragauge or the turbogauge. both are significantly cheaper than the scangauge 2 but still have the features.

you may want to do more research on those options and see which ones fit for your needs. I actually have both the scangauge 2 and the ultragauge (one in each car)

have fun

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Where can I buy the Ultragauge and how much do they run for? Any links etc.... would help!

Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I have a Scangauge II and I love it. However, if I were in the market now the Ultragauge would probably be my choice.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I don't love the limited functionality of the ScangaugeE for its price. The most important example for me is that it neither shows transmission temp nor can it be programmed with an XGauge for it like the SGII can. The UG doesn't either, but it's a little less money, has a better display, shows a lot more data, and seems like it has a better interface.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Holy cow thanks for the info,
Other question is it as accurate as Scangauge E, I am not worried about spending few more extra $$ for accuracy.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

all of these devices have calibration procedures. the accuracy has a lot more to do with how meticulous you are with that procedure.

I would say that they are pretty close to the mark. I think everyone would urge you to keep a gas log (paper and pencil calculations) just for your personal records.

like I said, I have both. I would recommend either or. they are both good items. the scangauge E only shows 2 items where as the scangauge 2 shows 4 and the UG shows 6. I don't think I would go for the E given that feature but it is probably the best they can do to compete price wise.

I am biased towards the SG2 but it is what i got first and it is what I know. if I had gotten the UG first, I would probably be biased in the other direction.

good luck to you.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

In addition to the 2 gauges the ScangaugeE has a mpg graph that shows how far above or under you are compared to your (hopefully increasing) average or a set number. So the display is a little bit more than half of the II.

I have the II and recommend it without having it updated for the xgauge. I've heard good things on their customer service, but never needed it myself. There are group buys for the II on priuschat and ecomodder which can save you around $30.

The Ultragauge is a nicer package with mounting options beyond velcro, but is made in China if that matters to you.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
all of these devices have calibration procedures. the accuracy has a lot more to do with how meticulous you are with that procedure.
^This.

However, even with diligent calibration none of these devices are accurate or consistent enough to have truly meaningful short-term feedback. I know I often try something and have an immediate result and get all excited about it...but meaningful results don't come until I've got a few tanks in my gaslog. Until then there are far too many variables inside and outside of the Scangauge.