Scanguage II out of the U.S. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Scanguage II out of the U.S.

I have a few questions for the Scanguage II owners out there. I am interested in getting one, but I am afraid that I will have to wait until I move back to the United States. As I currently live in Japan, I am not sure if I could use one with my car that I drive now. It is a kei (660cc), made and sold in Japan only. While American cars made after 1996 work with the SGII, I am not sure if the same would hold true for Japanese cars (in the Japanese market). I would assume that many of the regulations and laws governing cars would be somewhat similar between America and Japan, but I want to be sure before I plunk down the money for an SGII.

In addition, I am interested in whether the SGII can be displayed in km/l? Everything here is in metric, and I don't feel like messing with conversions every day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well, I think I figured out the answer to my problem. I need to verify whether or not my car is OBDII or EOBD certified/compliant/ready (or whatever the suffix is that it would take)... I am going to directly contact Mitsubishi Japan and look through my owner's manual.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Here's there site. There is a user manual on the site you can look at but the car must be OBDII. You could drop the guys at the site an e-mail about compatibility. They are pretty good about answering questions. It will do metric.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

zpiloto: When you say that it does do metric, would that include km/l? I would guess that it would rather be the l/100km... which if this were the case, would be useless to me.

I checked out their site... and could only see that they don't guarantee non-USA/Canadian to be compatible.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
zpiloto: When you say that it does do metric, would that include km/l? I would guess that it would rather be the l/100km... which if this were the case, would be useless to me.

I checked out their site... and could only see that they don't guarantee non-USA/Canadian to be compatible.
If you look at the manual it has the following listed:

Miles/Gallon
Km/Gallon
Miles/Liter
Liters/100Km

As far as compatibility you'll need to e-mail them it the KM/g will work for you.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hmm... if I were to get it then, I would end up just using the miles/gallon. I have no idea what km/gallon, liters/10km, and miles/liter should look like. I guess you can't have it all...

My tank should hold about (if not exactly) 8 gallons. That works out to 30 liters.

Anyways, thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I somehow overlooked the manual when I looked at the site earlier today. I will check it out again tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
cwa
Registered Member

I would liike to indicate my experience.

I have a Susuki Swift (Japanese Domestic) car. It has the OBD port so that I got a ScanguageII. Unfortunately it is not compatible with that and later I found that most of Japanese Domemstic models are only JOBD complient and it is different to OBD-II or EOBD.

Therefore my advise is to look for another option such as SuperMid.

Regards

CWA
cwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you very much cwa. That information will definitely come in handy. I looked at my car and it seems as though it has an OBD port. However, I haven't been able to verify this 100%, so chances are it is a JOBD like on your car. What year was your car again?

Do you currently use the SuperMid? Does it work alright for you? What are the main differences between it and the Scanguage II?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
cwa
Registered Member

My car is manufactuted in early 2005, but belong to 2004-2005 model.

I do not have a Supermid, but want to get one from Yoshi.

Supermid needs to be connected directly to ECU bus (basically VSS, Injector singal and ground) therefore you need to get information on ECU pins. Scanguage will directly connecting to OBD port and therefore it is very easy to install. Also Supermid only gives the mpg/fuel consumption whereas Scanguage will give to many other readings.

Regards

Clement (CWA)
Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
cwa
Registered Member

Hi Erdrick,

As you are in Japan, do you know any small Engine Scanner which works with OBD (JOBD) vehicles? Most of the vehicle scanners (low cost) are only OBD-II /EOBD compatible (Just like Scanguage) , but not with Japanese Domestic Vehicles.

Also this is not related with this thread, but I remeber you were saying that you do EOC with your Auto car. Is'nt it harmful for Gear box. I am asking that as my car (Suzuki Swift) is also a Auto and from the same manufacturer(?). Just to get few advices from you.

Regards

CWA