Scion xB makes a great draft! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Scion xB makes a great draft!

On my way to band practice last night I spend some time doing 60 about 3-4 car lengths behind a Scion xB. I was amazed to see my MPG went up about 10 MPG (showing 45-60 on the Scangauge compared to 35-50 before and after) while I was behind him. I have tried drafting in the past with inconsistent and generally disappointing results but this was amazing.

I think the trucks and stuff I had been drafting behind before probably had too much ground clearance and my car was just getting hit with all of the air from underneath. The xB however is a complete box and is low to the ground so there is very little "normal" air coming from under the car. I also don't feel like a jerk cruising along behind the xB like I do when I am behind a semi in their blind spot.

So now you know, if you have the chance to follow a toaster, do it!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Team GasMisers5!

In the UK, the lorries (trucks) are quite low, and often have a heavy rubber guard about 1 inch from the road to prevent spray!. They also go at 56mph (with mandatory speed limiters).

I have to admit, I have been known to do temporary long-distance drafts behind large 'SUVs' and small vans (Ford Transit etc) too. Anything in front is better than nothing

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote