SGII Horsepower. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

SGII Horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812
I see the same thing, maybe it doesn't like Honda's? I have an 2002 si, and its never read over 100, with my foot all the way to the floor.

How high was your RPM when your foot was on the floor?

This needs a thread. Anyway. I did some watching. and my Horsepower on my SGII does seem OK. Here's the approximate numbers.

Idle (warm) : 5.0
steady 60 mph : 31-37
mild acceleration : 50-60
WOT @6000 (3rd): 129

Old 12-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

I haven't done any extensive testing with it but I can get my cav in the triple digits with the hp reading. my car is only rated 115 or 120 hp.

I actually found it interesting that it took around 20 hp to sustain 55mph and (if I remember right) around 9hp at idle.

I did that before the WAI on my car so those numbers may be off with my current setup.

I still think of the scangauge as a "for indication only" device. the mileage on mine is never consistant but it doesn't pick up the DFCO on my car as well. the fact that it picks up the fuel use by air flow and not fuel flow also may skew those numbers as well.

before all this high gas price stuff really hit, I was looking into a G-tech performance meter (for my truck, not my car) that accurately showed torque and horsepower. it was about double what the scangauge was and I couldn't tell you the accuracy on that either so I still think of the scangauge as a good purchase. if you really cared about hp and performance, that would be the thing to get. it will do qtr mile times along with reaction times and 0-60 times. you can also download it into a computer so you can track trends and see the affects of performance equipment on your car. expensive though

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

After watching mine for a while now, I can say this. When i drive aggressive , it reads LESS that I am using. When I drive like grandma on sedatives, it reads more than I am using.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

how do you check for horsepower on the SG2? I have only use it for instant mpg, rpm, speed, etc.

also sometimes i use the "average mpg" feature ( 1 feature only), can i put that with the instant mpg, rpm screen with 4 features?
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

If you really want to be more accurate on total hp...you need to be in a gear that is as close to 1:1 as possible and then do a WOT thru the rpm range.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

civic94,

if you go to the scangauge web site, there are instructions for the X-gauge to give you hp. it is a long process with many numbers to be entered in but it is worth it and you only have to do it once. there are also instructions on how to input other X-gauges. I also have a/f ratio on mine.

if you happen to have an older one, it may not have the X-gauge feature but all the new ones do. bought mine in april and it had it so there is a good chance that yours does too.

darby,

I know when I had my truck dynoed, they put it in 4th gear (which is 1:1). they were running the hemi trucks up to around 50 mph and then punching them so that they would drop out of overdrive. not sure the ratio there but like you said close. my truck was a 5 speed so that was easy enough. I often wonder too if it displays the crank hp or the wheel hp. if I had to guess, I would say crank hp as my car would probably never see triple digits to the road.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I googled it a little, and came up with this:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=82674
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTORA user str8xedge
According to one of the guys from scangauge, the HP gauge measures gross horsepower. The actual numbers most people get from the manufacturer or a dyno are net horsepower. I couldn't tell you how accurate that gauge is. I imagine it could tell you what kind of horsepower you can free up by switching from a belt driven radiator fan to electric and things of that sort.
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f2/scan...ead-25357.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubXB user 365Motorwerks
HP comes right from the ECU and is supposed to be at the crank before any drivetrain loss I have done about the same thing and at WOT it does go way up there but the normal crusing numbers seem more realistic.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
If you really want to be more accurate on total hp...you need to be in a gear that is as close to 1:1 as possible and then do a WOT thru the rpm range.
I cant do that legally! SO I settled for 3rd.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

I had a similar issue with my truck on the dyno. mine redlines a little past 6k but my govoner is set at 118 mph. in 4th gear, I hit the govoner before I hit the rev limiter. it still showed me what I wanted to know. I asked the guy why he let off of it at 5700 rmps and he said that he didn't. I like my govoner and rev limiter. it keeps me from blowing stuff up.

just to clarify, my truck was strapped down and not going anywhere spinning a huge drum that was under it so I wasn't breaking any laws, just seeing what it would do.

I sold that truck a while back. baby on the way, had to get my finances straight.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I like my govoner and rev limiter. it keeps me from blowing stuff up.

ROFL!