Shell's Nitrogen Enhanced Gasoline. - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #41
Registered Member

3 thoughts

First off, had a 70 F250 Ford pickup with a camper on it. 360 V8 2 barrel, 4 speed, 7 mpg. Went through 3 engines, one every 125,000 miles, when I rebuilt the first and second one, my valves looked like that. At 125k the engine would drink oil and blow smoke, so if the Shell ad portriats that valve, it has to be one whooped engine, but this is old iron block technology.

Second, it has been said that we only get 4 sources for gasoline, isnt there some giant gas lines that trasport the nations fuel around America. I understand that cheap gas is less filtered and has less cleaners and additives. As far as I can think, this nitrogen enrichment is just a fancy fuel cleaner?

Third, I ran my last 2 tanks of Shells new nitrogen enriched fuel and have seen nothing in the way of increase or decrease in fuel economy. I just figure Im getting the added benefit of not having to stop at Auto Zone and buy fuel system cleaner.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, the raw gasoline is transported through the same pipelines throughout the country, but the additive package is added when the fuel truck is filled to go out to your local filling station. The additives do not go through the pipeline.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #43
Registered Member

Hmmm -
For those of us driving Honda lean burn cars (VX, HX, and maybe Civic Hybrids?) -

Can the nitrogen content cause increased NOx in the exhaust? The cat converter will need to handle any increase in NOx.

I ask about this because I've been filling up with Shell - and am battling to keep the 97 HX in Lean Burn. I won't be buying any Shell gas for a while to see if things improve.

Any comments, from readers who are familiar with the Honda Lean Burn system and who have a stronger background in chemistry than I?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

I just filled up the beast with "Nitrogen Enriched" Shell 93 octane. We'll see what happens...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #45
Registered Member

I just tried a tank of the "nitrogen enriched " Shell when I was over in Vermont. Didn't seem to do anything for my gas usage. I guess you have to run a couple of tanks of it to make sure you are running it straight without any other gas to give it a fair review. I am unable to do that as there are no Shell stations in Upstate NY. I tried anyway.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #46
Registered Member

just finished a tank of shell 93 octane. it is the best FE i've had in a while, but i cannot attribute that to the gas.

higher temps and a new MAF sensor(previous tank) no doubt had some influence. my miles are VERY similar tank to tank making for good testing, but next tank will consist of some vacation miles.

suspend experiment and resume later...

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote