Short measure at the pump? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
Registered Member

Received the following email from Fife Trading Standards.

I get in touch to confirm that we tested Pump 3 U/L at Morrison’s Kirkcaldy with our calibrated measures.
It was found to be operating normally and delivering fuel well within the permitted limits of error for this type of equipment.
The operation of Pump 4 would not normally affect that of Pump 3 but we checked the onsite records. These confirm that no repair work has been carried out to this dispenser recently – pump closures can take place if there is a fuel spillage or the card reader is faulty, I am advised.
We will continue to monitor for any further complaints and revisit the site if further testing is required.
We haven’t received any other complaints to date.
For thoroughness, I have still to check the design documentation for this type of pump but this is unlikely to help account for your fuel consumption discrepancy (If I do find an issue I will get back in touch).
On the evidence I have to date, I can only advise that any discrepancy in fuel consumption figures may come from a source other than the fuel dispenser.

At least they checked and kept me informed.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
Registered Member

Like you say, at least they made some kind of effort to investigate the matter, I was expecting zero response. I guess they get scared if you mention trading standards!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I have been using Shell gas at the local pump #3 and it seems I need 0.3 to 0.6 gallons more than I use according to my scangauge which I cross check with my gas low light coming on at 10.0 gallons very consistently on an 11.9 gallon tank you can't make a big mistake. Well this morning that pump was busy so I used #5 and it took 11.705 gallons to fill it having used 11.5 according to scangauge which lost a little when it failed to wake up when I started driving a few times for the past tank. Now this is a LOT closer to what it should be but get this ... watching the fuel come out of the hose into my tank I noticed it's full of air bubbles ... now I know shell claims nitrogen enriched fuel but are we talking like soda carbonation here or what? All those bubbles shut the pump off sooner as they foam up the tank filler spout so you think you are using less but wait a minute and you can keep pumping and pumping ... I have been off almost a gallon from what scanguage says a few times so I wonder?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
Registered Member

After another "iffy" fill up at my local Morrisons (20% less mpg than both my onboard display and my ScanGauge reckoned) I have moved my allegiance across town to Asda. It is not nearly as convenient, but I will give them a try over the coming months. If I still get anomalous fill ups, I will assume they are genuine and go back to the convenient filling station.