*sigh* I tried - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #1

*sigh* I tried

I've learned that you shouldn't post about FE on a "performance" discussion board , because someone younger and more well respected is always 'right'
I wonder iff'n the kid knows I'm older than his Dad ? LOL Oh well I know what works (heck I learned everything he knows now -and forgot about it- 30 years ago!! )

Guess who 4dse is ?

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Driving on E

I hear ya... I started my automotive journey on a popular honda message board. It soon became apparent to me that I woudl have to start my own board if I wanted to talk about fuel economy.

The performance guys are really misinformed about fuel economy. It's understandable though. It's entirely a different world.

It's good that you learned that lesson so quickly though

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #3

Hey my first 'real' hot rod was a '69 Charger . My last 'real' hot rod was a full tilt '83 Charger . I built it to go fast ...it got stoopid gas mileage ! I'm talking 11.5:1 compression, R4412 Holley carb 1 7/8" primary into a full 3" exhaust ,the Big 4 final drive & all the sway bar and spring you could get back then = 44mpg!!! Top it off --->13.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile!! ...I want that car back .It was a true anomoly.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Driving on E

there are a lot of parallels with horsepower and fuel economy. The right combo and you can have both.

Part of me would love a hot rod... but it's also one extra vehicle that I don't need.

maybe when I retire.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

I remember back in the day when I had a turbocharged Del Sol that I could get to 150 mph in and that got a whopping 15-20 mpg because my foot was always to the floor. No more of that for me, though I do miss doing rallycross in that thing. It understeered pretty badly, but mor than made up for it on the straightaways.

It's amazing that that car didn't kill me.

But yeah, you can't post about things like FE with the rice burners who glue plastic to their car because it looks 'cool' instead of it being more aerodynamic.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
I remember back in the day when I had a turbocharged Del Sol that I could get to 150 mph in and that got a whopping 15 mpg because my foot was always to the floor. No more of that for me, though I do miss doing rallycross in that thing. It understeered pretty badly, but mor than made up for it on the straightaways.

But yeah, you can't post about things like FE with the rice burners who glue plastic to their car because it looks 'cool' instead of it being more aerodynamic.
What was your set up on the del slow?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #7

There used to be a book called Horsepower with Economy (HP Books) that I used as a role model and idea reference . Big section about alt fuels CNG being one of them ...the guy that wrote that book was a big fan of it . Wish I still had the book - it was Way ahead of its time .(well at the time it was written it was just post-OPEC round 1 ) Truthfully rather than wait til I retire I just may do another dual purpose purposely built "all around machine" . I can only afford one car so it would be literally built in a weekend . This is where the Honda tribe has it made - a true modern day small block chevy (imho).
Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

I think things may be improving on other boards. Found a link from hondatech to my site yesterday, and read someone saying something like:

"fuel economy is becoming something to brag about just like 1/4 mile & lap times... and that's not a bad thing"

And there's a guy called "uncle Ben" (anyone we know, hmmm?) who said, (in response to some people debating coasting in N vs. in gear with fuel cut-off):

"Visit a site like gassavers.org and find out the truth."

(at the bottom of http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1994046&page=3)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

It was a Del Sol with a B18 swap, AEM fuel rail, AEM intake, Eibach springs, HKS low boost turbo (needed the acceleration more than the top end), some kind of cat-back exhaust, some other kind of throttle body, and I think that the cam gearing was altered. I don't remember many of the details. I had a friend who did most of the installations and who knew more about such things than I. I just really wanted it to go fast and handle well and at the time had lots of money to drop into such useless endeavors. I only had the turbo installed about three weeks when I was pulled over doing 110 in a 45. At that point, my parents took the car, sold it, and then I went without a car until last May when a friend of the family died and left me the Accord. I didn't even really want the Accord. I was doing fine without one from 2002 until 2006. I would bike ore take the bus to most places and would take one of my parents cars when I needed one.

At the time I was working two jobs and sinking all of my money into the car. Now I don't want to spend any money on a car and try very hard to not work. It's amazing how quickly puberty stops and with the hormones go the stupidity.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
*shrug*

I'm not uncle ben, I haven't been on h-t for months.

Sorry,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote