Six pound floormats!!?? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #21
Registered Member

Re: Six pound floormats!!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Interestingly with more weight in my xB I end up coasting further and not loosing speed better then when I am light. For stop and go lighter is always better however.
You bring up something that has been debated to a stupid level on another forum I post on.
Can weight be good? Clearly it's bad for stop and go, but on the highway it makes very little difference. More weight will increase rolling resistance, as your tires will have a bigger patch (the amount or rubber touching the road). The car will sit a little lower, which could improve aerodynamics. The hight could also do good or bad things to the ef of your drive train.
But the clear advantage to weight is with P&G. In a physics way it don't help, but in practical application it can be night and day.

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #22
Registered Member

Thanks for the input all on the steel plate. It's back in now.

Still no chance to weigh it, but maybe this week if I can get to the metal place.

Extra weight can help in certain situations. With the lack of hp this thing has, (and the new larger snow tires reducing torque further) any extra weight is really obvious to me. The new tires are 3.9% bigger than the old ones. The low end torque sucks and the speed is off to boot.

I'm thinking of selling the four studded snows on rims for four new sumitomo htrt4's in the right size.

What do you think?
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerryrigger View Post
More weight will increase rolling resistance, as your tires will have a bigger patch (the amount or rubber touching the road).
Depending on your current and maximum tire pressure, it may be possible to compensate. Then it's only the minuscule extra resistance in the bearings.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Depending on your current and maximum tire pressure, it may be possible to compensate. Then it's only the minuscule extra resistance in the bearings.
Good point, I was going on the assumption that the pressure was already at the max (like mine).

benfrogg,
I might be interested in those snow tires, what size are they?

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote