Skip Shifting? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8$PG View Post
I'm pretty sure it does save fuel skipping gears, if it'll get you faster up to the highest possible gear for the intended final cruising speed. When there is slow accelerating traffic ahead stepping through all of the gears might be better.
For whatever it's worth, that is opposite of the behavior enforced by CAGS, which makes you skip gears if you're behind slow traffic and lets you use all your gears if you're accelerating hard.

Also, I should note that in my analysis in an earlier post I said it was to cheat the EPA MPG rating system, and that was close but it was actually to avoid the gas guzzler tax. I don't think that tax exists anymore, though there are of course fines for CAFE violations.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thats true (I misread the original post, thought it was skipping 1:st and starting from 2:nd) but lingering in first gear during slow acceleration sounds like a really bad behavior for FE. Might be some other reason they do that.

Most recommendations says 1:st gear should only be used a couple of meters to two car lengths from standstill until 2:nd gear can be engaged.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

When I used to drive a stick regularly I had a 1981 AMC Spirit with a 4 speed. I would regularly start in 2nd, and shift to 4th skipping 1st and 3rd.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
When I used to drive a stick regularly I had a 1981 AMC Spirit with a 4 speed. I would regularly start in 2nd, and shift to 4th skipping 1st and 3rd.
Maybe with a torque converter and tall gearing 1:st and 3:rd is the equivalent of 2:nd and 4:th in a manual. In that case it does make some sense.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Maybe with a torque converter and tall gearing 1:st and 3:rd is the equivalent of 2:nd and 4:th in a manual. In that case it does make some sense.
Yup. In reading up on ratios for various vehicles I've found that to be pretty common when comparing a 4 speed automatic with a 5 speed manual. Also, 5th in the manual tends to be shorter than 4th in the automatic.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Just wondering what others' experiences are like. In my VX, there is no way I can start out in second unless I want to rattle around for about 50 feet. However, I can drive 5 feet in first gear and move to second with no problem. This the same for most everyone else or just me?
VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #17
Registered Member

2008 VW Rabbit, 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, and my converted 1980 Buick LeSabre can all launch in 2nd easily. Launching in 3rd is smooth but slow in all 3. Those 3rd launches were mis-shifts.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
Registered Member

Starting from second usually gets you nowhere, but when starting from a downhill slope it's real practical because you immediately get the engine brake you need and dfco.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #19
Registered Member

New ZF 9-speed transmission incorporates skip shift.

Green Car Congress: Land Rover to demonstrate ZF 9-speed automatic transmission; up to 16% fuel savings over standard 6-speed automatic
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Starting from second usually gets you nowhere, but when starting from a downhill slope it's real practical because you immediately get the engine brake you need and dfco.
I don't get too much DFCO with a cold engine.

alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote