Slow down save gas. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH3 View Post
no, i've driven thru a dozen times at least. none were during peak driving times, tho. so, i'm sure traffic was "thin" compared to what it usually is.
well there you go...I drive during peak times. it's work related commute for me so it's during rush hour or pre-rush hour. if you drive the Chicago freeways during non-peak times you will have a lot of speedsters. oddly enough, that also the time when troopers are mostly not around (probably why there are a lot of speedsters in the first place).

you can drive 60 to 65 in Chicago during non rush hour, you just need to know what to look for. most of them speedsters are in the left lane, if you stay on the right lane you'll be fine. it also does not mean that you won't floor it when the situation calls for it so you can avoid non-attentive drivers.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanelabs View Post
Yeah, this really works. For those that don't believe, check out http://www.slowdowntosavegas.com/ It has a calculator that will show you exactly how much you can save.
Hmmm...kind of a sobering thought...according to them, if I slowed down from 75 to 60 mph, I (plugging in my numbers for my commute) would save $989.15 per year, and only add 18 minutes to my commute. That works out to about 75 more hours per year. 989.15 / 75 = $13.19 per hour. (This is based on 250 work days per year.) I make quite a bit more than that. Figured that way, to me it doesn't pay to slow down.

That being said, I usually go around 55-60 anyway. My figures show I do a bit better than what they show.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

Joe Bob your 13.19 per hour is deduction free. Thats about 3 grand a year you could toss into a retirement account.

regards
gary
Old 05-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
989.15 / 75 = $13.19 per hour. (This is based on 250 work days per year.) I make quite a bit more than that. Figured that way, to me it doesn't pay to slow down.
Sometimes there are more important things than saving gas. For example, I'd rather spend 18 minutes with my wife.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Registered Member

Holy Cow!
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Sometimes there are more important things than saving gas. For example, I'd rather spend 18 minutes with my wife.
Hmmm....must be a newlywed!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Joe Bob your 13.19 per hour is deduction free. Thats about 3 grand a year you could toss into a retirement account.

regards
gary
Would that it could make it that far! But it is about 3 grand a year not in the pockets of oil companies or people who think Americans are the great satans...

Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #18
Registered Member

The container haulers have slowed down to 50 mph here in the Los Angeles area. Its bazaar to see but great for drafting and eoc. Since they are doing this they have moved to the farthest right lane some of the time. Now i can see just how bad their tires are.

1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote