Smart Sighting - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smart Sighting

Saw my first Smart car today. Unfortunately it was doing about 75 mph so I couldn't get a good look at it. Seem to be the same thing with the Prius. Folks buy a car capable of big numbers but don't take advantage of it. Hope to see another one parked or at least driving the speed limit so I can get a good look at it.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
*shrug*

I saw quite a few close up when I was in japan and they look like very well put together little buggers.

Hopefully we can get everyone to take advantage of what they've got, one day,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Actually, from what I have read about these cars, they are not so good in the fuel economy department - at least for what they are. Fuel economy is only supposedly in the high 30s, which is not even as good as larger (than the smart, that is) cars such as the Prius and Civic Hybrid. Perhaps this is due at least in part to their extremely tall stature. Of course, in my opinion, their tall stature also makes them look like dorkmobiles.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Actually, from what I have read about these cars, they are not so good in the fuel economy department - at least for what they are. Fuel economy is only supposedly in the high 30s, which is not even as good as larger (than the smart, that is) cars such as the Prius and Civic Hybrid. Perhaps this is due at least in part to their extremely tall stature. Of course, in my opinion, their tall stature also makes them look like dorkmobiles.
I think that the gasoline version that is sold here in the states will get mid 40 at least and maybe better. I'll let Mike T chime in, he is the resident expert on the Smart. Yea I could see that folks would give you grief over the looks but I happen to like the dorkmobiles. It's a lot better looking then what I've been driving and I didn't see any duct tape or cloroplast on the one that flew by me.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

But speaking of dorkmobiles, I think the Smart sends the American people the wrong message about small cars. To MANY people out there, cars like the Smart are the precise reason why they don't want to drive small cars. Whether anyone here likes it or not, most people in this country would not be caught dead driving around in something that looks like that. I know I wouldn't. We seriously need more small cars that people actually find appealing. Cars like the Smart just perpetuate the negative stereotype.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Matt, to each his own on style. My sole issue with the Smart is where my 2 kids can sit and where do I store $200 in groceries...

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I see them every day in the Toronto area and on the freeway leading in/out. Have yet to drive one but the only negative I find with them (outside of the fact it's a 2 seater) is the sound. They really have a rolling chain-like sound that turns me off. I'm talking diesel...
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
Matt, to each his own on style. My sole issue with the Smart is where my 2 kids can sit and where do I store $200 in groceries...

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I see them every day in the Toronto area and on the freeway leading in/out. Have yet to drive one but the only negative I find with them (outside of the fact it's a 2 seater) is the sound. They really have a rolling chain-like sound that turns me off. I'm talking diesel...
Well, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. And there's nothing wrong with that. My complaint here is that we as a society need to reduce our use of crude oil. And only by producing fuel-efficient cars that the masses are willing to buy and drive can we actually do that. Cars like the Smart are counterproductive to that goal if the vast majority of people find the car to be so hideous that they would rather be seen driving a beat-up 1971 Dodge Coronet Station Wagon with fading fake wood siding and peeling paint.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

Matt, if I didn't have kids I'd have a Smart car. It gets 75 MPG on diesel and can fit very tall people.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Well, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. And there's nothing wrong with that. My complaint here is that we as a society need to reduce our use of crude oil. And only by producing fuel-efficient cars that the masses are willing to buy and drive can we actually do that. Cars like the Smart are counterproductive to that goal if the vast majority of people find the car to be so hideous that they would rather be seen driving a beat-up 1971 Dodge Coronet Station Wagon with fading fake wood siding and peeling paint.
You're speaking too much from a US perspective. What's the harm in bringing a car that's popular and relevant around the world to the US hoping to find a market for it? You say it's counterintuitive, but that's too much of an image-centric view on reducing consumption.

I say the more options the better.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

Both the diesel and gas versions of both generations of the smart are capable of astounding fuel efficiency (by North American standards) driven properly. The new gasoline version will be the most efficient non-hybrid available in the US, if I'm not mistaken, and will be able to give the old Metros a run for their money.

StorminMatt: how do you know the vast majority of people will find it hideous? It's clear you don't like its looks. Fine, but be careful about generalizing your subjectivity onto the rest of the population.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote