So which air filters are the best???? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: I have a sweeeet foam filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
I have a sweeeet foam filter simaler to what amsoil used to sell, they now sell a "micro fiber" filter that you just blow out with compressed air that is suposed to do as good if not better of a job at collecting dirt then normal paper, with a higher air flow, or so they say.
I haven't noticed any differnce in mpg gains with paper over the foam, but I like that I can wash my foam filter, re-oil it, and not have the cost or extra trip to the store to buy a new one.
Do you have a link where I can get one???
I used to have an Injen filter, it stayed clean but it let in too much air and my car compinsated with more fuel. Do these filters let in a lot more air?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

I replaced the Prius filter

I replaced the Prius filter at about 45k miles. I kept it clean by using a shop vac to remove the dirt every 5k miles or so.

The Del Sol filter was clean when I bought it and 4k miles later it is still spotless. Im wondering if the left coast is dustier? Maybe it's the smog?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #13
Registered Member

Re: I replaced the Prius filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I replaced the Prius filter at about 45k miles. I kept it clean by using a shop vac to remove the dirt every 5k miles or so.

The Del Sol filter was clean when I bought it and 4k miles later it is still spotless. Im wondering if the left coast is dustier? Maybe it's the smog?
I doubt it's the smog. But I don't know what it is. Like 100 miles ago I had to flip the filter because the spot that absorbs the most air was black. The whole filter doesn't get dirty, only the spot where the air passes to go into the MAF

Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

Re: I replaced the Prius filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I doubt it's the smog. But I don't know what it is. Like 100 miles ago I had to flip the filter because the spot that absorbs the most air was black. The whole filter doesn't get dirty, only the spot where the air passes to go into the MAF
When you say black, do you really mean black or gray or what? Can you lighten the color with suction from a vacuum cleaner or does it stay the same color. I'm thinking it might be oil or something else being picked up at the intake.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #15
Registered Member

The intake hose goes to the

The intake hose goes to the left headlight and sits behind it. So when air goes under the headlight it finds it's way to the intake hose. That spot behind the headlight is clean. The filter is gray. Can't be cleaned off with a a vaccum.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #16
Registered Member

Intake Restriction vs. FE

OK, so I hear that replacing a dirty filter will improve FE; however, I have a restrictor device that blocks the flow of intake air considerably, and I seem to be getting better mileage due to forced, slower acceleration. Am I killing the potential for better FE on the highway?

RH77
Old 05-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

a air filter is already a

a air filter is already a good restrictor. Performance air filters like K&N, Injen, and etc let too much air in and the engine compansates with fuel. Just use oem filters which have more restrction but they give the best results.

I was just looking for a filter that would filter out the same as the nissan filter but get dirty slower.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
FE nut

Re: I have a sweeeet foam filter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
I have a sweeeet foam filter simaler to what amsoil used to sell, they now sell a "micro fiber" filter that you just blow out with compressed air that is suposed to do as good if not better of a job at collecting dirt then normal paper, with a higher air flow, or so they say.
I haven't noticed any differnce in mpg gains with paper over the foam, but I like that I can wash my foam filter, re-oil it, and not have the cost or extra trip to the store to buy a new one.
Do you have a link where I can get one???
I used to have an Injen filter, it stayed clean but it let in too much air and my car compinsated with more fuel. Do these filters let in a lot more air?
I want to start this reply by saying that I am NOT an Amsoil dealer but am what they call a "preferred customer." This means I get a price break but don't make any profit. That aside, I can look up a price for the new Amsoil filter if you would like. I have to eat supper now so I'll post some prices in a little while.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Re: a air filter is already a

Really Complicated. Spend some time at the store counting the filter pleats of the different brands that are offered. The more pleats, the slower the filter will get dirty.

Quote:
a air filter is already a good restrictor. Performance air filters like K&N, Injen, and etc let too much air in and the engine compansates with fuel. Just use oem filters which have more restrction but they give the best results.

I was just looking for a filter that would filter out the same as the nissan filter but get dirty slower.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

is it hard to change an air

is it hard to change an air filter these days?