Some more bump starting discussion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Some more bump starting discussion

I searched and have a couple of questions.

1)When I kill the engine and I'm coasting in neutral should the clutch pedal be pressed or not touched at all?

2) Is it okay to restart in 4th gear or should I always do 5th??

3)When I bump start, should I dump the clutch or let it out slowly?

4) What's the minimum distance I should coast in neutral on a flat surface before I bump start??

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 AM   #2
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888

1)When I kill the engine and I'm coasting in neutral should the clutch pedal be pressed or not touched at all?

4) What's the minimum distance I should coast in neutral on a flat surface before I bump start??
1) I would say that once the engine is off it wouldn't matter whether the clutch is in or out. I usually let it out to give the leg a rest.
2) 4th or 5th really depends on how fast you are going when it's time for the re-start. I have already used 3rd when I have gotten down to 5-10 mph.
3) What I usually do is let the clutch out to where it's just ready to engage. Then, I do a quick release and shove it back in real quick as the engine fires.
4) This really depends on the circumstance. If I come to one of those lights that is triggered by traffic amounts and you can't predict when it will change, I generally just leave the engine running. As long as I can go 5-10 seconds or more I shut the engine off.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

At high speeds, over 25, I will use 5th because that is my normal gear. When creeping to a stop light that turns green, 5 mph or less I use 2nd and do what Larry explained, quick bump and disengage until the engine comes to speed then re engage.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

1) Not to complicate things, but you don't necessarily need to press the clutch to go to neutral in the first place.

This may be more advanced technique, but as you are releasing the accelerator and the drivetrain passes into a "no load" situation (neither accelerating nor decelerating), you can push or pull the shift lever to neutral with no resistance.

If you try to go to neutral too early (still under load), or too late (deceleration load), the shifter will be difficult to move.

That's how I do it, anyway.

My kill switch is attached to the shift lever. As I'm releasing the accelerator, I move the shifter to neutral, then release the accelerator fully, wait a second or 2 for the engine to return to idle, then squeeze the kill switch. I rarely use the clutch when starting a codfish/glide.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
1) Not to complicate things, but you don't necessarily need to press the clutch to go to neutral in the first place.

This may be more advanced technique, but as you are releasing the accelerator and the drivetrain passes into a "no load" situation (neither accelerating nor decelerating), you can push or pull the shift lever to neutral with no resistance.

If you try to go to neutral too early (still under load), or too late (deceleration load), the shifter will be difficult to move.
Yeah I would do that to. I am to lazy to press the clutch to go to nutral.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888

1. i always leave it in gear, clutch in, then kill it, just in case something happens i want to be able to dump the clutch and having the engine running for extra brake addist and such.

2. i try not to bump start lower than 3rd, i just match with my speed/rpm, though i have been known to bump in reverse

3. i let it out just enough for the clutch to tap the flywheel and start the engine then push it back in the let it back out with gas, makes it smooth.

4. 10 seconds is my rule.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

1. don't touch it
2.creeping speed 2nd gear, 10 -20 km 3rd 30-50 4th, 50+5th
3.up to friction point, slingshot the clutch and then press all the way in to absorb aftershock after the engine comes on alive.
4. 10 seconds is my rule as well.

didn't know svoboy likes to restart the engine using gas.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
*shrug*

What do you mean start it with gas? As opposed to propane?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

i mean like you giving throttle as your bump starting....since when i start my engine i don't touch the throttle at all.

Quote:
3. i let it out just enough for the clutch to tap the flywheel and start the engine then push it back in the let it back out with gas, makes it smooth.
oh and i found this delicious info

Quote:
IDLING DAMAGES ENGINE COMPONENTS. An idling engine is not operating at peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion. Fuel residues can condense on cylinder walls, contaminate oil and damage engine components. With more engine idling these residues tend to deposit on spark plugs. The resulting plug fouling can increase fuel consumption by 4 to 5 percent. Excessive idling can also cause water to condense in the vehicle's exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system. On the other hand, frequent restarting has little impact on engine components such as the starter motor and the battery.

Sources: Natural Resources Canada, & Massachusetts DEP
some food for thought if you know the light you'll be waiting at will be a long one.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
*shrug*

No no, pay attention, fool. I bump it, clutch back in, then gas + clutch out.