Someone Has Built An Efie ? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
I agree, there are way too many TLAs tossed about. (TLA=three letter acronyms)
I know -- I forgot to put the cover sheet on my TPS reports last week....

But yes, I agree with Ryland -- we should give the Poster a chance to explain his/her post if we're confused about it -- instead of embarrassing them.

RH77

Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

I have one of each :-) I have a romulator for my ECU, (engine control unit?) and a wideband oxygen sensor in my exhaust. No flashly lights, or silly displays just a voltometer with a voltage -vs- AFR (air fuel ratio) chart next to it.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
we should give the Poster a chance to explain his/her post if we're confused about it -- instead of embarrassing them.

RH77
very true, but it's still a valid point that initials are way over used, I meen, who really knows what CODFISHING is??? I know hitting an extrea 6 key board keys is alot of work, but we should take pride in making sure that we are clear in our communications.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Supporting Member

Ryland -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
very true, but it's still a valid point that initials are way over used, I meen, who really knows what CODFISHING is??? I know hitting an extrea 6 key board keys is alot of work, but we should take pride in making sure that we are clear in our communications.
I agree. Here are two options :

1 - Make the FAQ more visible. In addition to the managed thread (http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1088), there should be a fast access tab or button that a user can click in order to find out what the acronym means. Right now, in order to find out what something means, a user has to navigate away from a thread as follows :

Forums Tab -> Fuel Economy Discussion -> GS FAQ/Glossary, Busted/Confirmed Mods, Archive

It would be nicer to have a one-button option. I know I can add the FAQ to my bookmarks, but I am not always at the same PC and this is an extra step.

2 - Make life miserable for Matt . He could write an advanced "pop-up/tooltip/whatever you want to call it" that shows the user the definition of an acronym. Matt would have to write something that parses each posting in order to find the acronyms. Or maybe his software has that as an option.

Sorry Matt,

EDIT : PS - I think the Bunny should be the logo of the FAQ.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
I use an efie built by eagle research (not me) and a cheapo $30 jc whitney afr display. It's cranked down as lean as possible without excessive driveability problems but still have a little bucking at some very light throttle settings (no idling along in 5th). It usually cycles from one to two sometimes up to five bars from the bottom (lean) on the freeway. This is supposed to indicate something like 17:1 or so but there is no way this cheap afr gauge is anything but an approximation. Normal cycling without efie is right in the middle as it should, cycling up and down on either side of stochiometric a few times a second. This is with my dual plug head ford 2300cc motor. The nissan 2400cc wouldn't run near this lean, but it only had a single plug head.

As always, tune the efie to your particular engine, the instructions are pretty accurate actually. Using an afr with the efie in my opinion is a great idea, you really need some feedback for how the efie is affecting your fuel mixture, seat of the pants tuning leaves too many opportunities for error.

Thanks for your reports! its just what i want to hear!

Presently i´m checking my EFIE and AFRD and i have obtain a lot of info about my ECUS, chips and engine!

First i had to change my lambda sensor for a new LS 6 BOSCH, my EFIE AFRD were not flickering !

My old sensor was sluggish!!! the voltage was steady like a wideband sensor lol!

This was the first best result for experimenting with DIY EFIE AFRD!

Second i have to adjust de delay time for restart in hot without problems (15 seconds is right!).

And like you said, the narrowband lambda sensor is oscillating permanently but when one understand this

is a very nice led read and the leds isn´t all lit, not, only three and the mostly only one!!

My EFIE DIY is not the same eagle research, is the Better Mileage Mixture LM3914 based circuit.

Its really works very fine! and i modified it building into an AFRD with ten leds correspondingly exactly

to 0.1 - 1.0 volts .

And I can use it for reach the mix at 0.6 0.7 and 0.8v AFR correspondence.

And this is the first and more important step.

Now i go to the second step : CYLINDER DEACTIVATION but not a DOD or MDS or VCM or ACC systems only my

INJECTION CYLINDER DEACTIVATION ICD ! (i will not fake my valves in order to avoid pumping loss).

I has a Ford Splash v6 3 lts great machine! and a Ranger 2.3 like yours great truck!

And I think the best for your economy experiments is the ICD, you do not need feed 140 brute horses to

go at downtown postal office to go a letter!

And the best is that the EFIE will not to accept the mixture enrichment by the ECU (since the exhaust will be 50% more leaner).

One of the most important at the ranger 2.3 is put on the engine 8 spark plugs bosch premium 4 electrodes!

BTW when i start running the Fords i only experiment to how to disconnect the default speed limit!

and was fine not anymore shut down the injectors at 100 miles/hr .
SIFLIGINIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
A/F gauge

Anyone know about this gauge? Seems to display both sensors at the same time which is great. Retailing for $49.99

Attachment 217
Product Description
The iEquus Performance 8000 Series White Gauges provide Peak Performance and Features. Lightweight construction, durability, accuracy, wide coverage and ease of installation - all at an affordable price. - Compatible Dual display offers independent or dual readings - Connects to oxygen sensors to monitor activity and determine whether the engine is running rich or lean for maximum horsepower - Color LEDs provide quick visual display of air/fuel ratio - Features a revolutionary Back-Lit display that enhances night viewing with four popular colors included - Aluminum bezels are lightweight and optimize appearance - Twist-on ring mount to make installation very simple - Includes adapters and fittings for installation on most popular vehicles - foreign and domestic - Easy-to-follow instructions in English, French and Spanish
Attached Images

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
Supporting Member

JanGeo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Anyone know about this gauge? Seems to display both sensors at the same time which is great. Retailing for $49.99

Attachment 217
Product Description
The iEquus Performance 8000 Series White Gauges provide Peak Performance and Features. Lightweight construction, durability, accuracy, wide coverage and ease of installation - all at an affordable price. - Compatible Dual display offers independent or dual readings - Connects to oxygen sensors to monitor activity and determine whether the engine is running rich or lean for maximum horsepower - Color LEDs provide quick visual display of air/fuel ratio - Features a revolutionary Back-Lit display that enhances night viewing with four popular colors included - Aluminum bezels are lightweight and optimize appearance - Twist-on ring mount to make installation very simple - Includes adapters and fittings for installation on most popular vehicles - foreign and domestic - Easy-to-follow instructions in English, French and Spanish
Don't know anything, but here's the PDF :

http://www.iequus.com/downloads/manuals/93-0038.pdf

LIMITATION : The PDF says 0-1 volt only, so I think it is not compatible with wide band 02 sensors.

It's cool to have a double-sensor readout. If you are using an EFIE that lies to the ECU/PCM, at least you can see the effect on the post-catalytic converter 02 sensor.

If I didn't already have a digital 02 sensor project, I would have given this serious consideration.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

I think the only thing that gauge does is it allows you to hook two regular sensors up, so you can monitor them. It appears to only be designed for a non-wideband oxygen sensor. I presume it would be used for either a newer two sensor system, so you could monitor before the catalytic converter as well as afterward, or you could use it on a dual exhaust vehicle.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
What is the voltage swing of a wide band ? 0-5? if so then a modification of the input with a resistor divider should recalibrate the signal. Chances are at least one of the sensors is a wide band. Hummm no reference in ScionLife search shows up 1447 entries totally useless. Interesting shots of the internal cams and variable adjuster when one guy painted the valve cover.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
Registered Member

Only good in Open-Loop

I had a digital/LED A/F Ratio gauge on my turbo Evolution. Frankly, it was a waste of money -- it basically read the oxygen sensor readings and blinked wildly back and forth in normal driving.

The only time it was of use was during WOT runs -- it would show how rich or lean the mix would get when the turbo spooled-up, and it would pretty much hold steady in the green. If it was yellow (or red), then a potentially dangerous lean condition was present. That never happened and it was basically there for looks to fill a 3-gauge cluster of analogue oil temp and pressure. On that car, at WOT you had to watch where you were going because 60 MPH came up under 5-seconds if you did it right - not a silly gauge.

The SG's functions are much more useful.

RH77