Specific question regarding my tires and wheels - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Specific question regarding my tires and wheels

I drive a 96 Honda Civic DX and I recently bought some VX wheels. The tires are totally shot on them. I have 13 inch steel wheels now, with 175/70R13 Uniroyal Tigerpaws. They're old tires but they've got good tread. I was wondering what I should do about the tires once I put the VX wheels on...Should I:

1. Buy new tires at Sam's Club. They're 155/80R13 Dunlop SP40 for $35/each, cheapest ones I can find online and locally. Its $10 each tire for mounting, and I'm sure there's disposal fees of some kinda. Totals around $200. I could probably sell my steel wheels for $50. Or...

2. Find some place to transfer my tires from the steel wheels to the VX wheels. I heard its around $20-25 to do this in my area (but from somewhat shady places).

I'm concerned about fuel economy, but also how much I'd save on not getting new tires. Are tire prices going up? Maybe it would be a good idea to get them now? How would the sizes of tires affect my fuel economy? I'd be going slightly less revs/mile.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Brand new tires probably cannot pay for themselves in FE alone. If the existing tires were worn it wouldn't be worth remounting them, but with decent tread just put them on the new wheels -- or wait to change the wheels until the tires are worn.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

I agree with theholycow. If your existing tires have sufficent tread depth, there's no reason not to reuse them. However, if you're going to buy new tires...the Dunlop SP40s are notorious for wearing out quickly and have iffy traction issues. You might want to consider these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1
Old 05-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

swap the 175 7013 on
the 155 80 are taller and will NOT get you better mpg trust me
I had that same set up on my 96 dx hatchback and i loved them

SHWINN MOUNTAIN BIKE
GAS SAVER FAT BURNER

TOTAL MILES DISPLACED BY SHWIIN ON THE WAY TO WORK. 45 TOTAL MILES
mkiVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

any tire shop can switch tires, i just bought vx rims myself this week and switched the tires, then sell the old rim+ bad tires on craigslist for cheap. make sure the shop has a balancing machine.

cost 23 per switch at the shop i went, balanced
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Is it my imagination or have those prices gone up some, swear it was only about $55 a tire in my size last month.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Is it my imagination or have those prices gone up some, swear it was only about $55 a tire in my size last month.
You're correct...I sell tires & auto parts for a living and prices are higher across the board.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

will big chain places (tires plus, big 10 tires, discount tire) swap the tires over? I imagine they'd charge a bunch...

by the way, how long have your tires lasted you since hypermiling? I want my tires to last me at least another year and a half...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The extra inflation that hypermilers use helps the tires wear longer, but not braking for corners adds some wear. I always get good life out of my tires anyway.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

I just had 4 Prometer 175/70 R13 mounted and balanced today for a grand total of $162.00.
I opted for a little more rubber on the road than the stock sized 155/80 R13.

I was happy with the $162.00 out the door price for 4 tires.

They are on my new project car. My 1996 Geo Metro 1.3L.

bigrobrn is offline   Reply With Quote