Spring Motor Cleaning for better FE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Spring Motor Cleaning for better FE

So it was 65 degrees yesterday and just perfect weather. Didn't need either the heat or the a/c.........yea, baby, I love 65 degrees.

So, usually in the spring I throw a bottle of Techron in the gas user just to clean up the fuel system so it can run at it's best efficiency possible. Then I had this thought about putting 1 gallon of E85 into the tank to maybe give it a little extra alcohol....just for one tank.....to help clean out the fuel system..........hmmmmmmm ......One extra gallon of E85 won't hurt it for one tank. .....Am I on drugs or does anyone think the extra alcohol will do anything as far as helping to clean out the injectors, etc??? It's a 20 gallon tank, so if I just add one gallon of E85 I will still have 19 gallons of regular fuel.....(we do get 10% ethanol now so in my fuzzy math that means in a 20 gallon tank I have 2 gallons of alcohol already??) I know it won't do anything for the one tank as far as fuel economy is concerned, but if it helps clean the motor out then maybe the gas mileage will improve for the future tanks?? The worse that could happen is the fuel system might be a little cleaner????? Any thoughts on this???

I just changed the plugs and am getting ready to do an oil change as soon as I buy the filter..

What does everyone think??

Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

If its a fairly new vehicle I may try as much as 50% E85. One gallon certainly won't hurt, and alcohol does a great job of cleaning out fuel systems.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
yea, baby, I love 65 degrees.
I define the perfect outdoor temperature as one at which I'm comfortable both with or without a light jacket. 65 is about right.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I define the perfect outdoor temperature as one at which I'm comfortable both with or without a light jacket. 65 is about right.
in the spirit of GS and saving energy...

the perfect temp is one that requires no heat or a/c(home or car) and yet is comfortable enough to avoid sweating or the chills.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Well,since the industry considers standard temperature of gasoline to be 60F, I'd say its 60F...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I find 55-60 to be about perfect for just being outside. 65 is perfect for the bike.