Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 AM   #71
Team GasMisers5!

OK, just doing my bit to help GasMisers5 along

Latest tank
296.7 miles
7.24 gallons of petrol
for 41.0mpg (US)

This was a tank of cold-start commuting, and also, in my new job I do a lot of cold-start 0.8 miles drives, and a lot of those have happened with this tank (I didn't have to do this before Feb). This is a record tank about 10% better than my last cold-start tank, which was about 10% better than my previous cold-start tank This tank was 86% above EPA.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
Old 03-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #72
Registered Member

here's my weekly mpg report... I've driven 300 miles on approximatly 4.75-4.8 gallons= somewhere around 62.5-63 mpg. This is a gas gauge estimate at my "1/2 tank" mark. Gas prices shot up 30 cents a gallon yesterday or I would have filled early for a more accurate weekly report .

Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #73
Registered Member

No report for me this week. The SG rest and defaulted my engine size and it took me a while to catch it. According to SG I"m at 39.8 but according to the gauge and mileage this is my best tank every. "Shrug" I'll fill at the end of the week.

Go Team OP!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #74
FE nut

I filled up yesterday and used 3.90 gallons to go 203.1 miles for 52.08 mpg.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #75
ELF
Registered Member

Filled today....278 miles 10.2 gal. .. 27.2 mpg

Used E 15 this tank, plus did at least 100 miles in the rain, had to have lights wipers and defrost on constantly.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #76
Team OPEC Busters!

My SG is at 62 again this week. I used to think it was high, now I am thinking low. I should fill later this week.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #77
Registered Member

No need to refill yet, still 10 gallons indicated remaining. Onboard display numbers:
55.1 mpg
758 miles in 19 hr, 16 min for an average of 39 mph. A few more days will tell if the electronic modification to the fuel pump has really increased the mileage or if it is just screwing with the display numbers.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
No need to refill yet, still 10 gallons indicated remaining. Onboard display numbers:
55.1 mpg
758 miles in 19 hr, 16 min for an average of 39 mph. A few more days will tell if the electronic modification to the fuel pump has really increased the mileage or if it is just screwing with the display numbers.
Wow Lug_Nut that really impressive. I guess the electronic mod is for diesel only? What is the premise behind it? Might want to do a write up in the experiment section if it turns out it's the real deal.

Go Team OP! Finishing up strong.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #79
Registered Member

I only had one trip this week: 79.4 mpg (US) round trip, 55 mi. total.

I'll wait until tomorrow to update the stats, to give the left coasters and other stragglers time to submit their numbers.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #80
Registered Member

MPG update

April 1, 2007 9:37 PM MDT

Winter is not over yet here in Colorado. It has been snowy and 15-20 degrees at night for the past week. I have not driven the car at all this week till yesterday.

Scanguage readings for week March 26 thru Apr 1, 2007: Trip to neighbor's garage 6.2 miles 122 mpg. One way because car is still there. Saturday morning temp 16 degrees. Our places are close to equal elevations but there is a 200 ft. gradual drop and a 200 ft. steeper rise between us. The balance of the distance is fairly level. The best previous mpg I remember seeing at this distance is 82 mpg(summer). So the belt and component deletions with the added cold-start-warm-up techniques are responsible for considerable gain for this stretch.

I have taken the time to make room in the garage for Old Reliable. I have been working on making my cold starts and the first part of my trips more mpg productive. The past few days I installed a block heater I have had for months and installed a heater in the water hoses. Also put on an oil pan heater, this may end up on transmission later. All were on for about 8 hrs overnight Friday. Also put R-30 insulation batt between engine and hood overnight to help hold the heat. Used R-30 batts all around the bottom of the car from the garage floor up around the body. Made sure my battery was fully charged as alternator is still off car.

Friday I got word from a neighbor that he could help me with installing my new transmission ratios this weekend. I have my alternator off for repair and mod and had to figure out a way to drive the 6 miles to his garage. I took a page from MetroMPG and started looking around for a way to jerry-rig a temporary belt to the water pump. I cut a piece of rubber from a truck inner tube across the tube so it stayed in one continuous piece. Was close to proper length but pump turns opposite direction of crank pulley. So I used my farm background and put a twist in the belt to correct the pump rotation. Believe it or not, it works. In the bargain, I ended up disconnecting the air conditioning compressor and the power steering along with the alternator. Also rid of the drag of two idler pullies, belt tensioner, and about 12 ft. of belt.

May need to figure ways to make this a permanent arrangement. CO ZX2

Closed Thread