Standings and Stats: Beginning May 21 - Page 44 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #431
XFi
Registered Member

Just repaired the Xtiva's 'no spark concern' (Distributer-Crank Position Sensor). Replaced the distrubuter with one from an extra engine I have. Not going to be able to fit in another fill. But up and running for the next cycle.

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
Old 07-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #432
Registered Member

...and the saga continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Just repaired the Xtiva's 'no spark concern' (Distributer-Crank Position Sensor). Replaced the distrubuter with one from an extra engine I have. Not going to be able to fit in another fill. But up and running for the next cycle.
Speaking of the next Cycle, beginning Monday, July 2, 2007 -- Cycle 3 begins!

BTW, Happy Canada Day -- which happens to be the last day of this cycle's competition. Make sure the GasLogs are up-to-date, since that's where the data is sourced for the final tally. Midnight Central Time is the requested deadline.

Bear in mind -- it's a seamless transition into Cycle 3, so keep that FE up

In the meantime, I'll crunch the numbers, have it double-checked, and post the results this week. It should be close!

Also, I'll be on vacation for a week or so (starting Friday) -- so if there are any issues, Zpiloto should be available to answer questions. If a timestamp is required for the issue, just cc me on the PM, and I'll get to it when I get back. Not sure what kind of Internet I'll have access to in Alaska

Best of FE to all teams!

RH77
The Commish

P.S. As of tomorrow, this thread will be closed to make room for the Cycle 3 update thread.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #433
Registered Member

Fill update 7/1/07.

330.6 miles, 3.24 gallons, 102.3 mpg, SG 37 tank mph.

I've been on strike since gas prices went over $3.50. Started my trips before 6 A.M. to avoid the winds that come by 7:30. Also lighter traffic. Still chilly mornings so I drive with my engine compartment insulation in the morning and remove for my return in the warmer afternoons. Alternator switched off all trips. Have left a battery at my shop to switch there instead of carrying a spare. Also disconnect my knock sensor on returns, more timing for uphill pulls. I have also slowed down some on my uphill returns.

I use my trips to furthur my testing with pressure/flow points on the vehicle exterior. I have used up to 6 gauges at once connected by plastic tubes taped to different spots on the car. I really need a passenger to record the readings at 60 mph, but I am able to do it if I read 1 or 2 at a time.

Have cut down on all driving quite a lot. I am making 1 trip in 1-1 1/2 weeks instead of 3-4 per week to my shop. An employee just bought a home near me and I send and receive deliveries by him almost daily. I do most of my work at my home shop.

Go 'GasMisers5'.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #434
Registered Member

100 mpg tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
330.6 miles, 3.24 gallons, 102.3 mpg, SG 37 tank mph.
Go 'GasMisers5'.
Congratulations. This got to be the first 100 mpg tank for a spark ignition engine car. I know the diesel Smart made it there first.

I almost always ran with the knock sensors disconnected on my Ford Turbocoupes. The sensor seemed to pick up piston noise. At least I could never hear the knock it was responding to .
Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #435
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
Congratulations. This got to be the first 100 mpg tank for a spark ignition engine car. I know the diesel Smart made it there first.

I almost always ran with the knock sensors disconnected on my Ford Turbocoupes. The sensor seemed to pick up piston noise. At least I could never hear the knock it was responding to .

Thanks. I am proud of what Old Reliable has done, but I hesitate to consider this a real 100 mpg tank, it being comprised of a 3.24 gallon fill. Today was my deadline for a fill this cycle.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #436
Registered Member

Quote:
I use my trips to furthur my testing with pressure/flow points on the vehicle exterior. I have used up to 6 gauges at once connected by plastic tubes taped to different spots on the car. I really need a passenger to record the readings at 60 mph, but I am able to do it if I read 1 or 2 at a time.
Unbelievable. That is truly amazing.

As far as recording readings, I was wondering if maybe you could put a digital camera on a tripod and snag all the readings at once. Just a thought from a lowly grasshopper.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #437
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Unbelievable. That is truly amazing.

As far as recording readings, I was wondering if maybe you could put a digital camera on a tripod and snag all the readings at once. Just a thought from a lowly grasshopper.
Thanks, Bill. I will try a camera next test. I need to capture the small graduations. My gauges are quite large
(4 in.) so this may work OK. Kinda glad I didn't get the 2 1/2 inch gauges I wanted.

Tripod may be a slight problem. I don't have a bus like yours. But I will figure something out.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #438
Registered Member

Quote:
Tripod may be a slight problem. I don't have a bus like yours. But I will figure something out.
Standard tripod sockets are 1/4-20. I used to shoot professionally years ago. You should be able to cobble up something easily.

You don't want to drive the screw in hard against the stop at bottom of screw hole. There's camera guts behind there. You need a screw and a nut and probably a flat plate between nut and underside of camera. To tension the screw against the camera body bottom surface. You can substitute a wing nut + washer so you won't need a wrench to tighten/loosen.

Older European cameras were another size but that's vintage stuff. Just take the camera into a hardware store and ID the thread size.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #439
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

fill for last cycle

36.2 mpg

Lost a bunch compared to last fill. A couple of autocrosses and more "normal" driving and big sticky tires has taken its toll.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #440
Registered Member

New tank

245.3 miles 5.65 gallons 43.41 mpg

Closed Thread