Staying cool without AC - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I don't need windows or AC.

I don't need windows or AC. I can sprint around a track at full speed in 90 degree weather without sweating, odd it may seem. I'm actually rather fond of warm weather, and even when it's 100 degrees out, I am still quite comfortable wearing a leather jacket with winter lining.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
silver roof?

I have tinted windows, and it seems to help, I've also been thinking about getting one of those silver winshild cover deals, I also have a glass pop out sunroof, and I'm not sure if that alows in enough more sun that it counteracts having it open, but I do tend to leave it open while parked, and have thought about getting some silver mylar (space blanket) to keep the sun out in the summer, with the windows cracked and the sun roof cracked it gets pretty decent air flow, my old civic hatch back had rear windows that would hinge open, like mini van windows in the back, and that helped alot for air flow, put the vent on low, crack the rear windows and that car never got to hot.
I can't belive that it's only 5 degree differnt for white compared to black cars, walk thru a parking lot, and feel the hoods, the black cars can burn you, I've thought about painting my roof silver...

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #13
Driving on E

You need to get a swap

You need to get a swap cooler from an old VW Bus

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

open a little bit from your

open a little bit from your left window and your right REAR window, if done correctly the air flow should be very smooth accross the vechile and areodynamics won't be boched as opposed to having all four windows down.

i have a coupe so i can't use this trick
Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

Window block/shade for the

Window block/shade for the windshield keeps the heat down. When I was a kid my uncle had a 1966 Mustang with out AC. He had a little tray that was about 8x4x2 that he just dumped ice in and then had a fan blow across the top of it. It actually worked pretty good for those in the front seats. Of course it was a one shot deal it worked for about 30-40 minutes and then you would need to find more ice.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

Re: open a little bit from your

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
open a little bit from your left window and your right REAR window, if done correctly the air flow should be very smooth accross the vechile and areodynamics won't be boched as opposed to having all four windows down.

i have a coupe so i can't use this trick
Luckily I have a rear window that goes down. I can leave the front windows rolled up and the vacuum from the rear of the car pulls air thru the dash vents. A nice quiet breeze.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #17
Registered Member

Re: open a little bit from your

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I can leave the front windows rolled up and the vacuum from the rear of the car pulls air thru the dash vents. A nice quiet breeze.
stupidly, the rear quarter windows on the blackfly (or on any 1995+ suzukiclone for that matter) don't open. the previous gen cars had the latches that would pop those windows outwards a couple of inches at the back edge.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Registered Member

1950's A/C

I heard stories of trips in the family truckster back in the 50's: Get a cooler full of ice and have a fan blow air over ice. I guess it worked to a point. Water misting and the evaporative effect of cooling works well also. No idea how to implement it...

RH77
Old 05-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #19

In the summer I always crack

In the summer I always crack my windows (if the forecast isn't for rain). This lets out SO much heat so that the inside is more bearable at first. I also try to keep a white shirt or something to that effect in my car to cover my shift knob (it's metal) - in the past it has been so hot it was nearly impossible to drive.

I still do run my AC though. I consider it a necessary evil down here in the humid south.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
cooling

The Metalic Silver/ Gray Geo with it's massive sloping windshield would get hot and radiate into the cabin so I would run water in the washers and spray the glass down to cool it and the aero was soo oo oooo slick that I would have to hold my hand out the window to deflect the air in.

My Rabbit although sunbright yellow was a toaster in the bright sun as well but it had the cold air vents in the dash that really worked well and VENT WINDOWS YEAH! of course they used the vent windows to break into the car. $79 each replaced them twice.

Silver was almost as bad as black and now that I finally have a white vehicle again (65 Rambler was white) I noticed already how much cooler it is in the sun - NOT just 5 degrees cooler btw A LOT COOLER.

Read somewhere that some high school kids made a Peliter Effect AC system for a car that worked really well. Those are the solid state junctions that make hot on one side and cold on the other when DC current passes throught them. They connected several maybe 5 to 10 of them and it cooled the air very well. Hard to believe that they could cool that much but I guess it could work - may have to try something with the ones that I have.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote