Stupid Idea - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

Stupid Idea

If you could get some highly polished (internally) tubing of e.g. 6 inches diameter, why couldn't you:

(1) Have an open grille, with all airflow going through the engine, then into the 6-inch tubing
(2) The tubing then goes from front - back of car (if somehow it could be hidden)
(3) The tube opens in the middle at the back of the car - into the low pressure drag area.

The result is that the drag at the back actively removes air from the engine bay.

Benefits.
(1) The grille at the front reduces the total airflow around the vehicle
(2) All airflow through the engine doesn't go under the car, so drag there is improved
(3) The drag area at the back of the car ends up being closer to atmospheric pressure, so drag is reduced.

This could be done in a custom EV (in fact, in my plans for a prototype I made, this has been designed in).

Any comments?

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
*shrug*

Is this part of the purpose of the side scoops and such we see on mid/rear engine cars? It makes sense, but hiding the tubing would be difficult...have you checked out the bottom of your car?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

BMW had something similar for the brakes, and there's a pic showing the airflow through the rain tray and out the back sides of a VW....
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

It's a valid idea. GM's PNGV Precept Cd .19 concept car expelled exhaust into the wake. It was also rear engine, though, and active louvers (I think) drew cooling air off the rear quarter panels only when needed.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
If you could get some highly polished (internally) tubing of e.g. 6 inches diameter, why couldn't you:

(1) Have an open grille, with all airflow going through the engine, then into the 6-inch tubing
(2) The tubing then goes from front - back of car (if somehow it could be hidden)
(3) The tube opens in the middle at the back of the car - into the low pressure drag area.
Any comments?
How much surface area are you funneling down into that 28.27 square inch (six inch diameter) pipe? If the engine bay area is 3 feet wide and 2 feet high (864 square inches) then the air speed through the pipe will need to be 30 times faster than the vehicle's speed. At 60 mph the air speed through the pipe would need to be 1800 mph to not produce any resistance.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
to reduce draig you would have alot less work ahead of you if you just removed your passenger side veiw mirrer.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote