Suggestions of a GM vehicle that I can get 35mpg in? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Look at my gas log. Keep in mind that the clutch is only slipping worse.

When the clutch was good I was netting a solid 30-35 city before doing anykind of hypermiling, and running 35psi in the tires.

I'm now at about 35mpg city with a minor amount of hypermiling, a very minor amount of modifications, and running max pressure according to the sidewall - with a clutch that's slipping pretty bad.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

Additional vehicles don't cost me much either... I think my Buick is only costing about $200/yr for insurance. Its dirt cheap to insure. Plus the trucks also have a "utility vehicle discount" applied to them.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Ugh. My truck, my wife's Isuzu Rodeo, and my VW each cost the same to insure. The VW has a significantly lower liability cost but collision on it is expensive.

My Buick is cheap just for basic coverage, I think around the same $200, but since it's just rotting in my yard and I need the money I don't insure it. (I don't drive it since it's so rotten, but some day...oh some day...)
Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #24
Registered Member

Look for a Saturn SL (not the SL1 or SL2). They could be had with the 5-spd SOHC engine, non-power steering and no power options. This makes them really light and surprisingly responsive, and the light weight pretty much counters not having the DOHC engine.

My girlfriend owns a '99, and by upiing the tire pressure to 38psi, and slowing from 75/80mph to 65mph on the highway she brought her average MPG up over 40.

She took it autocrossing once and it handled pretty respectably (especially given stock tires & 170K on the suspension)

Last I checked the book value on hers was about $1900.

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 AM   #25
Registered Member

my truck was considered a sport model (I don't understand that at all) but the insurance was pretty high on it.

I actually saved money be purchasing my car (liability only) and making my truck a secondary vehicle. I have since sold that truck.

I figure as far as insurance goes, I paid 2k for my car over 5 years ago and it has a salvaged title. if I wreck it, I would get about $200 for it and I would be out a car. if somebody else wrecks it (hits me) then their insurance will pay for it (their $200 check) either way, if It is wrecked, I aint gettin' much.

I might as well pocket the money that I would have spent on the collision insurance for now.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I don't know about that $200 beef. I'm not sure what the blue book for your car is but most insurance companies will only take off about 33% on the amount they'll pay you because of the salvage title. They pay you to get another car in comparable condition and age, not what your particular car is worth. I'm very sure if the threaten to sue over the 33% they'd just give it to you anyways. They seem to be REALLY worried about that stuff.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #27

I don't know squat about GM cars, but this caught my eye a while back.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4884

Apparently Saturn's 5 speed manual transmission is easy to hack. You can easily install a taller 5th gear with good FE results.

FWLIW, I've never heard of a valve stem blowout occurring with 'reasonably' overinflated tires. With most mfgs suggesting inflation pressures in the low~mid 30s, 40PSI or so is a common compromise that seems 100% safe.

Agree with O/P regarding stopping the engine 30 times a day. I tried it for a while, and did see FE gains, but quickly grew tired of the exercise. Just thinking about replacing the ignition switch makes me 'annoyed.'
Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
My Buick is cheap just for basic coverage, I think around the same $200, but since it's just rotting in my yard and I need the money I don't insure it. (I don't drive it since it's so rotten, but some day...oh some day...)
LOL - Gary Larson's 'Grizzlies from Hell' cartoon just LEAPS into my brain. I guess it would be "Holly Cows from Hell" in your case, eh?
Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Well thankfully it's not that bad yet...and I keep telling myself I won't let it get like that either.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #30
Registered Member

the $200 assumption was just that, an assumption. I know that the blue book value of my car is under $1000 right now so it really isn't worth it to me to put full coverage on it. that was more my point.

it has been a while since I looked up the blue book of it but it is 12-13 yrs old and has 186k+ miles on it with a broken a/c (hope to fix that after an experiment I am working on is complete)

I may look up the blue book on it just to see.

*edit*

WOW I was suprised

________private party Trade in
excelent___2120_______1025
good______1795_______850
fair________1445______550

a lot better than I expected. (still not worth much

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote