Summer mix fuel changeover - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Summer mix fuel changeover

I think that CT must have changed over to summer mix fuel on Apr. 15.

My mpg has been hovering just under 27 mpg since early March. This afternoon I tanked up and it came out at a hair under 30 mpg. Yes the afternoons have been warmer but a solid 10 % increase nearly overnight? I think the fuel changeover has occurred, at least in this state. Likely much of the Northeast is on the same schedule.

If you're watching for this in your mpg results - remember that you need to fill with the new stuff first, then you could notice results at the next fillup after that.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Not sure we've got it here yet, still smells wintery (Higher aromatic content, pungent enxhaust fumes etc)

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
My mileage has gotten better recently but I thought it was just the warmer weather. The station I go to is always busy,so when it does change it should cycle out quickly.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

Come to think of it, I might be on summer gas since I filled up this morning. I was having hard starting issues when the engine was hot the last couple of days, but it started up better today, despite being hotter.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

I am experiencing a slight improvement in fuel economy too, even with the AC operating occasionally. Summer mix is good!
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

I thought the last tank was my good driving!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

If you have fuel injection, in opinion, your engine should run better on winter fuel.
I'm running 3 month old gas right now. Had some stored with alittle stabliser. No heat soak starting problems.

Sometimes I notice after top the tank off. Restart heat soaked engine throttle responce is very good and lite. Probability because the charcoal canister is giveing the engine a good vaper shot.

I have a 50F offset on my CTS. No cold start problems.
It would an interesing test to see the effects of heat on summer/winter fuel at different temps and pressures. Observe fuel in a clear tube in "realtime".
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Registered Member

My MPG went up about 3 or 4 for my last fillup. My car idles a lot lower when it's warm out, so I do think that had a lot to do with it since it has been a lot warmer lately. But who knows!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

My last couple of tanks have been impressively higher and I'm on task to get even higher with this tank. I loves me some summer blend gas.

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

With a few mods it would be better to run winter gas in summer. If you had a place to store it.