SuperMID revisited - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

SuperMID revisited

Sorry to drag up old topics, but I'm seriously considering asking Yoshi to build me a MID (funds are lacking at the moment though). Darin pointed out that the MPG gains from having a MID are arguably better than the possible MPG gains and noise reduction of a new exhaust.

The car is not spewing pollutants since the cat still works so it's not an ecological hazard. And it's hardly a noise pollutant. The car doesn't roar, it buzzes. If a Harley or even a diesel pulls up next to me at a light I can't hear my car running anymore (or is that because my engine's off? ).

Anyway, from the old posts I know what the SuperMID does and what I need, but I think my speedometer is entirely mechanical. Will that present a problem? I didn't totally understand SVOBoy's problem in his MID/VSS thread.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Sorry to drag up old topics, but I'm seriously considering asking Yoshi to build me a MID (funds are lacking at the moment though). Darin pointed out that the MPG gains from having a MID are arguably better than the possible MPG gains and noise reduction of a new exhaust.

The car is not spewing pollutants since the cat still works so it's not an ecological hazard. And it's hardly a noise pollutant. The car doesn't roar, it buzzes. If a Harley or even a diesel pulls up next to me at a light I can't hear my car running anymore (or is that because my engine's off? ).

Anyway, from the old posts I know what the SuperMID does and what I need, but I think my speedometer is entirely mechanical. Will that present a problem? I didn't totally understand SVOBoy's problem in his MID/VSS thread.
Odds are your speedometer will have an electrical signal, especially since it's OBD1. I'm sure MetroMPG can help you figure out which wire to use.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think his is completely run off of a distance sensor, but I'm not certain. My speedometer/odometer keeps going even with my engine/ignition off...

Plus I didn't notice any extra wires coming off the speedo cable when I recently dismantled my dash. I'll have to check the wiring diagrams in the Hayne's manual. Worse comes to worse I could see if an OBD2 cable would fit my transmission.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

If you have a cable that goes from the transmission directly to the back of the speedo, then methinks you are out of luck. I hope Im wrong on this one. Maybe the later model transmissions have VSS and you could swap the sensor and speedo/odo from a newer Metro.

But there is also some value in the SuperMID even without the VSS. It will still show injector duration and fuel used. You just have to do the calcs manually. You won't have instantaneous FE but you will be able to calculate average FE after a test segment instead of having to wait until you fill the tank. If I were in your situation, I would still see value in it. But that is just me. Like Darin says, I'm aven more of a nutbar than he is. But then again I have to be because I have the 1 extra cylinder that I have to push around.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
If you have a cable that goes from the transmission directly to the back of the speedo
Yup, that's what it is.

If I'd known how much fun FE was going to be and been aware of the uses of a ScanGauge I would have waited for a post-1996 model. Live and learn.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

I just edited my previous post with more info.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Check to make sure but some in between years used a cable and the speed sensor was in the speedo head.
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Driving on E

Quote:
If you have a cable that goes from the transmission directly to the back of the speedo, then methinks you are out of luck. I hope Im wrong on this one. Maybe the later model transmissions have VSS and you could swap the sensor and speedo/odo from a newer Metro.
The 88-91 honda civics use a cable that goes directly to the back of the speedometer. it then converts it to an electrical signal for the ECU. As for why SVOBoy's didn't work I have no idea.

i imagine that if the speedometer is cable driven and is OBD1 then there has to be a digital signal somewhere. Odds are one of the wires at the ECU is the digital signal.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
You won't have instantaneous FE but you will be able to calculate average FE after a test segment instead of having to wait until you fill the tank.
Oh, okay. That's mostly what I want. I practically go stir-crazy waiting for my tank results some days. At least I would be able to do some tests and then improve my daily route FE as well.

The MID shows liters used per trip? An A trip, B trip, and tank trip?

As for the other speedo info - thanks guys. I'll check things out and see what the setup is like.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
The MID shows liters used per trip? An A trip, B trip, and tank trip?
Correct, measures in liters down to the thousandth of a liter. But you also get Start and Lap. If you are set to start, it automatically resets every time you remove power from the MID. So since I draw power from the accessory circuit, I can ignition off and back on without resetting the Start trip. But when I turn off completely, the next time I restart, the MID will start from zero. I use start mode exclusively and just check the tank stats occasionally. There is also lap trips, but I haven't figured out what that would be used for.