Switched to Amsoil today. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up Switched to Amsoil today.

Before getting all licker'd and turkey'd up today I switched my Cav over to Amsoil 0-30. I'm hoping to see some gains, as I didn't see any gains when I initially switched the car over to Mobil 1 from dino oil, and lately my MPGs have been in the crapper. So, I'm pulling out all the stops!

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

FE gains from lower weight synthetic oils are sometimes blown out of proportion. While they definitely do get you some increased numbers, and they are easy numbers to get (nothing much easier than changing your oil), you shouldn't expect huge gains. The difference between Mobil 1 and Amsoil shouldn't be that pronounced. Going from a 10w-30 to a 0w-20 --- now THAT MIGHT get you some gains. Still nothing unbelievable though.

I would personally look at the temps you have been driving in. Cold weather means lower FE, regardless of what oil you are using. Lower weight oils help combat this, as do grill blocks. Still, there is nothing that can totally offset the effect of cold weather on your engine.

Your drops fall right in line with the seasons, so I would be willing to bet that the temps, not the oil, are your problem.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I'm using Penzoil (dino) in my 02 Cav,but 0-20. I've used synthetic in other cars but usually got lots of oil leaks with it. I've done several things to improve MPG's and each one gave a little more. The cold weather may knock us back some,but Spring will come.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
FE gains from lower weight synthetic oils are sometimes blown out of proportion. While they definitely do get you some increased numbers, and they are easy numbers to get (nothing much easier than changing your oil), you shouldn't expect huge gains. The difference between Mobil 1 and Amsoil shouldn't be that pronounced. Going from a 10w-30 to a 0w-20 --- now THAT MIGHT get you some gains. Still nothing unbelievable though.

I would personally look at the temps you have been driving in. Cold weather means lower FE, regardless of what oil you are using. Lower weight oils help combat this, as do grill blocks. Still, there is nothing that can totally offset the effect of cold weather on your engine.

Your drops fall right in line with the seasons, so I would be willing to bet that the temps, not the oil, are your problem.
I was due for an oil change, so figured I'd play w/ the lighter weight Amsoil. I know a lot of my MPG loss has been due to my right foot getting heavy again, as the weather has only really started to get cold here. I just filled up after driving like a good boy again on the last tank, and I got my best MPG ever! So, hopefully I'll be on the up swing again. Plus I have a few other experiments I want to try out.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

The biggest gains will be in better wear numbers...which will give you better FE numbers down the raod over the next years.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

My race car dynoed 20 more hp when the oil level was reduced 1/2 way down the dipstick instead of at the full line. I do the same on my Saturn as I figure the same drag that would reduce hp would also reduce mpg. I run a larger filter, which is below that height, and increases oil capacity by 1/2 pint to offset.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

I did an A/B comparison with Havoline 5w20 and RLI BioSYN 0w20 in my 2005 Civic. Both oils run for 5k miles and a used oil analysis (UOA) run on each oil. Looking at my MPG numbers, there was a bit of a drop during the synthetic run, but I was averaging 10+ MPH faster during my commute over that 5k miles...

if you're interested in the resulting wear numbers you can read more here
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #8

Nice choice for Amsoil. My father used to be a dealer back in the day - about 4 years after the company opened its doors. I'm considering becoming a dealer since there isn't one in these parts - closest one is around 20 miles away.

I ran Royal Purple for a while. Haven't run it in the race cars, Mobil 1 is in one and Dino Oil is in the other (steet rod & '63 Corvette), both are actually street cars than full race though they like premium with an occasional shot of octane booster.

In the past, I've seen the best gains on my cars I "care" about mileage on with a switch to 0-20.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Supporting Member

cheapybob -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob View Post
My race car dynoed 20 more hp when the oil level was reduced 1/2 way down the dipstick instead of at the full line. I do the same on my Saturn as I figure the same drag that would reduce hp would also reduce mpg. I run a larger filter, which is below that height, and increases oil capacity by 1/2 pint to offset.
That's really cool. I want to ask my mechanic to do that. Can you tell me what model filter you use?

Thanks,

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

You will not realize the full potential of running Amsoil until you switch over the transmission and gearboxes and wheel bearing grease. My 01 Impala with over 200,000 miles on it gained a consistent 1.5-MPG. So far with the weather cooling off I haven't seen a drop in FE but that may change in the next couple weeks.

I get mixxed responses when I ask people how much Amsoil improved their FE. So far most people with higher milage cars seem to gain the most.

I changed the trans fluid in my 95 F-250 4X4 Powerstroke over to Amsoil. It has a manual trans that uses ATF. So far I have noticed the truck drives a little smoother and shifts a lot better. I may have gained a little mileage but it is hard to tell because I don't drive it that often and there’s a lot of variability in how I drive when I do. I can't wait to convert the whole truck over to Amsoil but I have to save some $$$ to be able to afford it (14 quarts in the engine alone). Best mileage so far 20.05. Worst, 16.3 pulling an empty car trailer.