synthetics rule! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Synlube has not had any oil related engine failures - has been around since 1969 and why would you EVER want to keep changing the oil in your car when you don't have to, can get better mileage with less wear, and end up paying less in the long run with Synlube.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
A lube has to be pretty bad to have an oil related engine failure. I've known people that forget to change their oil or even their filter for 30k miles with dino oil and have yet to see an oil related engine failure with even that.

The worst I think I've heard was a Tundra that went into Jiffylube at 45k miles for its first oil change. It had a lifter that wouldn't pump up anymore but after a quick flush it ran great.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
A lube has to be pretty bad to have an oil related engine failure. I've known people that forget to change their oil or even their filter for 30k miles with dino oil and have yet to see an oil related engine failure with even that.
So many people are so religious about oil, but all you have to do is avoid being totally negligent and with modern engines/oils there's really nothing to worry about. Most cars go to the junkyard having never had a problem that can be blamed on oil, regardless of how bad the owner was about it.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Most of the people in the other messageboard that I go to use synthetic motor oil on their cars and change it every 3000 miles.

My car uses regular 5w-30 motor oil, mostly going with the Castrol brand, and have been changing the motor oil and the oil filter on a 4000 mile interval.

I am considering on switching to synthetic when the car's odometer goes over 40,000 miles.

===============================
I have read some of the stuff here about not changing oil for a long time, don't do that, the engine will suffer greatly.

Can you imagine how bad the MPG will be if the engine oil gets really old and dirty?

Doing a motor oil and filter change yourself cost close to nothing and it is so easy to do.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
There is running and then there is running really well and efficiently. Most of the time you can't see a car burning oil these days because the Cat cleans it up.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
Registered Member

What are the benefits from not changing the oil at regular intervals?

Name one and no do not say saved time, when the engine throws a fit you are gonna be wasting time and money for repair.

I ain't buying into that synlube crap.

================================================== =======

I don't know about you but I intend to keep my car running for a long time.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
There is a wide area between not changing it enough and changing it too often though. The only way to really know is to have the oil tested. I plan on testing mine when I get the car back. The oil in it currently has 11k on it and by the looks of it I bet I can get another 9k out of it easily. The engine has 111k(10k synthetic oil changes starting at 70k) my cousin owned it before me and wasn't very good about changing the oil, or anything really, it had 62k old champion coppers in it when I got it. She changed the oil maybe once a year(non-synthetic) and the engine doesn't look damaged to me. No ridge, no scoring, looks great, the original hone pattern is even more pronounced than the up and down wear pattern from the rings and piston.

This isn't the 60's where fuel blowing by the rings cause the oil to become diluted requiring changes as often. But, I don't believe that an oil can stay clean and not sludge up in 125k miles. Maybe on ethanol. But not gasoline.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

I just do every 5,000 miles, and change with synthetic. Its easy to keep track that way. When my odometer reading is divisible by 5,000 then its time to get it changed. For example, I just hit 155,000 miles 2 weeks ago, so I took it in for an oil change (Mobil1 0W30). My next change will be @ 160,000.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
So many people are so religious about oil, but all you have to do is avoid being totally negligent and with modern engines/oils there's really nothing to worry about. Most cars go to the junkyard having never had a problem that can be blamed on oil, regardless of how bad the owner was about it.
Only oil related failure I can be sure of is on a '65 Plymouth (the story of which I posted a few months back)...don't know what its oil change history was, I figure it might have had one somewhere along the line...had just TONS of sludge and very worn rings at 140k miles. Compared it to a friend's Honda, rebuilt at 120k (and didn't really need it!)...clean as a whistle inside, oil was changed every 3k miles.

As for synthetic oil, I haven't really noticed much gain in MPG using it, but I did notice a drop in oil consumption...from around 1 qt/1000 miles to about 1 qt/2000 miles.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude View Post
What are the benefits from not changing the oil at regular intervals?

Name one and no do not say saved time, when the engine throws a fit you are gonna be wasting time and money for repair.

I ain't buying into that synlube crap.

================================================== =======

I don't know about you but I intend to keep my car running for a long time.
Benefits:

1. A really good excuse to buy a new car.

2. Your mechanic (or the machine shop guy) will really like you (and the big checks you write!)

3. Another excuse to take some time off from work.

4. The chance to rent a bunch of different cars while yours is in the shop (or you are rebuilding it yourself).

5. You can play James Bond with the smoke screen coming out your tail-pipe.

6. You can flirt with the Highway Patrol lady while she is writing you a fix-it ticket.

7. If you have never rebuilt an engine before, it's a great opportunity to learn how!

8. You can re-discover the fun of walking.

9. YOU SAVE GAS! If the car's not running, you don't use any gas in it!

10. And best of all, YOU GET TO SPEND TIME AWAY FROM YOUR WIFE! while you are taking care of the car. Heck, she's probably yelling at you anyway for not changing the oil! (Thanks to my wife for that answer!)

There you have it, TEN (count 'em) benefits for not changing your oil!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote