Taking an Airbus A380 jumbo more efficient than driving an Insight? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #21
Registered Member

Le Ball de Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX View Post
Top Gear did a similar thing where they drove a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti against a plane from the studio in Surrey to Verbier (about 730 miles). The Ferrari barely won.
That's kinda where I got the idea -- just watched the episode on the laptop not too long ago. The French Police were like, "Drive Faster!" -- but do you?

More recently, a car mag here (Automobile?) took a FedEx package in a land yacht using a similar fashion (Bently GTC, if memory serves). The thing had almost $7000 of radar busting, County Mounty detecting equipment on the thing, and they made it. I'm beginning to question the story's non-fictionality.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Monday's Boston to Shreveport via Memphis instead became Boston to Shreveport via Detroit whch then turned into Detroit to Shreveport via Houston. It took me 17 1/2 hours. My luggage? It took the same 24 hours to get that to my hotel that it took me to drive my second TDI from New Orleans to Boston.
My return SHV-IAH-BOS trip on Wed was a more tolerable at 10 1/2 hours from hotel to home.
Ah, sounds like good ol' Northwest for ya. If you can make it to Memphis, it's probably one of the best major hubs around. Very different from Atlanta, Dallas, Newark, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, O'hare (O'magosh), Detroit, or MSP. Weather is rarely a factor, and ATC can keep up with the demand -- even with scores of FedEx planes departing all afternoon.

I usually carry-on, but on a personal trip last month I checked, and of course, Southwest forgot to take our luggage off the plane before it headed elsewhere and off went my suit for a wedding the next day. It arrived EARLY the next morning just in time to get ready.

What's wierd is I'm in Lexington, KY right now and flew in on Delta. I hope they don't get confused which runway to take tomorrow. It's a bit eerie considering what happened recently.

RH77

Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
Team OPEC Busters!

Hey I wonder what the best people mover is. I would think train, or possibly ship, but much slower. I wonder how trains fare in the MPG department.
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Hey I wonder what the best people mover is. I would think train, or possibly ship, but much slower. I wonder how trains fare in the MPG department.
Looks like trains are the winner. scroll down towards the bottom.

Acutally Motorcycles have the lowest BTU/per passenger mile.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote