Tank level when you refill? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
Registered Member

I go below E, but that means I still have a couple of gallons left when I fill.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
I used to run it as empty as I could to make it last longer, but now I fill up at half tank. Between the lubrication and junk issues, aswell as the unpleasantness of running out of gas, I'd rather do it this way. I'm not worried about the extra weight becuase its only 4 gallons.

And, it takes too long to run out a full tank of gas. My last fillup would have been 596 miles(on 7.64gal) which would take me forever to get my data. I'm impatient.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

I fill up pretty often because without a scangauge on this old car, I like getting the feedback on my FE.

I fill up at about the halfway mark, which means every two days for me. Actually I fill every 2 days just before work now pretty much regardless. Station is right outside my work entrance so there's not much lost by the stop.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #14

I've always filled up at 1/4 tank during the summer and 1/2 tank in the winter.All because my Dad told me "thats the way it is". I've also used this rule with new/different cars - 1/2 tank fills until I've become accustomed to how reliable the car is ...modern day vehicles probably don't need this rule followed , but I still cling to the old ways.
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'm thinking of trying to stay under half a tank. By my calculations it would show an increase of 0.49mpg by saving weight.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

I try to fill up when about 1/8 is left in the tank the latest, that is about the moment when a low fuel level signal is lit up. Most of the time, I fill up a little earlier, sometimes to seize an opportunity to buy cheap fuel. You know, fuel prices fluctuate a lot!
For best fuel economy, I fill up on the way e.g. home. That will avoid having to make a special trip to the gas station for no other useful purpose except to fill up.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #17
Registered Member

yea if gas is cheap (like it was last week $2.64) i fill up regardless
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
Haha, and then the next day it'll drop further and your like DAMMM!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #19
Registered Member

i generally drive untill the needle hits the red mark, however if a price increase is announced i tend the fill op before to get a bit more "cheap" gass. even when there's only a bit out of the talk, when prices lower a bit (doesn't happen very often but still) i drive untill i used up most of the "expensive" gass to make room for the cheap one.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
Funny. They run the fuel prices from a buck to 3 bucks, then back to 2.64. Now gas is cheap, where's my Hummer? I want to fill the back with concrete and drive to Peru with lots of jackrabbit starts and stops! Let's put on a trailer loaded with lead and square wheels! Dump the milk Edith, the cat drinks unleaded from now on! (slightly modified version of a Berkeley Breathed Outland Sunday comic)

Even at a buck a gallon I thought it was costly since I was used to paying less than 70 cents a gallon for the longest time. Funny that it doesn't cost a whole lot more now than it did to pump it and refine it, at least not enough to triple the cost over a 2 year period. Most of that cost is because motor fuels are improperly traded on the open market. IMO, critical resources like fuel and food should not be tradable on the open market without strict controls to prevent panic gouging.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote