Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #11
XFi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
This may be similar to what you're trying, but I think I remember a way to route the cut at/near the injector's fuse(s).

Describe more about the bad running condition -- did it go into some sort of "Safe-Mode" with limited power? Some ECUs freak out when the injectors "malfunction"...

RH77
No, I don't believe it was a 'Safe-Mode'. I just tried it with two injectors (tying the ground together). It felt like I lost both cylinders and that they both were not firing/fueling (barely idling). Plus then I got the code for open fuel injection circuits in both cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Hey guys, I've been really busy lately, and haven't had any time to come onto the site or check in. I have two new tanks posted in my gaslog, but unfortunately will have to leave the group. It's just getting to be too much of a task to get the mileage that I'm getting since most of my mileage is highway for jobs. I was on tour with a band for the Florida leg of their tour doing live sound and barely made it in time to one of the gigs becuase I was driving at 50 while the rest of the caravan were going 75. I'm also a bit worried about the wear and tear on my car from P&Ging in an auto as much as I do and restarting the car in neutral. Plus, I'm just not driving often at all, so don't have many contributions to give to the team.

Sorry I have to go guys. I'll check in whenever I can though to see how things are going.
Very sorry to hear about this. Thanks for your contributions to the team. Just because you are leaving the challenge, doesn't mean you are leaving the site! Make sure you and The Green Machine visit regularly . Good Luck!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
No, I don't believe it was a 'Safe-Mode'. I just tried it with two injectors (tying the ground together). It felt like I lost both cylinders and that they both were not firing/fueling (barely idling). Plus then I got the code for open fuel injection circuits in both cylinders.
Ah, there's your problem. I think you need to cut the whole works, otherwise it may still try to run using fuel. I did an experiment on this a while back...

Cylinder Deactivation. It ran on 2 cylinders for about 50 miles, but the vibration was horrendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Very sorry to hear about this. Thanks for your contributions to the team. Just because you are leaving the challenge, doesn't mean you are leaving the site! Make sure you and The Green Machine visit regularly . Good Luck!
Same here, and hope to still see you around GS.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #13
Team OPEC Busters!

I am also crazy busy as usual. Building a new house, moving out of the old one and this darn work thing... I just threw in my last tank, doan a bit since I am running more Bio Diesel now.
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
XFi
Registered Member

Never Created an Open...just ran two grounds together

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Ah, there's your problem. I think you need to cut the whole works, otherwise it may still try to run using fuel. I did an experiment on this a while back...

Cylinder Deactivation. It ran on 2 cylinders for about 50 miles, but the vibration was horrendous.

Same here, and hope to still see you around GS.
Just to clarify further on the Engine Shutoff Switch (Fuel Injector Cutoff)...I didn't get to the point of wiring the switch in. The Plan WAS to combine all the ground wires from the injectors into one/gang them together, then run the single wire into the car and to the switch to create an open in the circuit.

I tested (to see if it would work) this with just two ground wires together, so that I wouldn't hack up my wiring harness any more than I needed to. So, with two of the injector ground wires tied together AND still completing both circuits (no open), I got the poor run condition and CEL. If the car would have run fine with the ground wires connected from the injectors, I would have spliced all four together, then wired it to the switch to create the open at that point. Boy I can really be lousy at communication. I need to draw a picture!

Rh77, I do appreciate your help, and appoligize for not communicating well all the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I am also crazy busy as usual. Building a new house, moving out of the old one and this darn work thing... I just threw in my last tank, doan a bit since I am running more Bio Diesel now.
Good to hear from you Brock...That is still some AWESOME mileage from the Wagon! Keep up the good work!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

You guys will still see me around, but my mileage will just go down a bit as I travel for work, and time is becoming a constraint.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

Busy, busy, busy

Well, it seems like we are a busy bunch; Not much chit-chat, and not many car mod's, other than XFi. I know I've been too busy to upgrade my car, myself. It just stays at about no. 2 or 3 on my todo list (next weekend, no, next weekend). I finally got my car back on the road last week, but only because the car I had borrowed started acting up. So, Porthos has a new wheel bearing and tie-rod end, which should help the rolling resistance. But he (she?) didn't get the new ignition yet. sheesh. I've got one more big honey-do on my list right now - to fix the second bathtub. My wife is tired of having only one shower in the house. Then I should be able to twist some wrenchs on the car.

I left work early yesterday, to take advantage of the sunny day to patch a leak in my roof (more important than even a second shower ). Since it was such a nice day, I stopped at the junkyard on the way home. I got a bunch of goodies for Porthos; mainly cosmetic stuff. They did not have the rims I want to mount my LRR tires, which was the main item on my list. But I grabbed the belly pan off a Taurus. It covers the gap between the bumper and the air dam. I figured that should work as well as a piece of coroplast, and it was free...

I'll get back on track soon. Keep up the good work, XFi.

Stew

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #17
XFi
Registered Member

Hey guys...just confirming that everyone is still up for the Challenge (FETC II)!!!

s2man/Porthos/#519-TC
Brock/Jetta Wagon/#211
theclencher/The Lambo/#204
XFi/Now/#772

Please post in this thread or message back for confirmation. Lets keep it together and get through these cold months!

Looks like we will still need one more to fill repete86's spot.

Fall/Winter competion to start soon! Go Team OPEC Busters!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Team OPEC Busters!

I am still here, sort of

I am getting off bio-diesel for winter so that should help my mileage, but at the same time winter blend regular diesel should start to hit so it will probably be a wash.

It is getting colder though, 30F this morning, glow plugs were on for a whole 2 seconds
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
XFi
Registered Member

Sweet! Thanks for posting your confirmation! As always, I'm still amazed by your mpg Glad you are still running with the team!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #20
XFi
Registered Member

Regrouping

OK, Brock is in...I am in...theclencher is in...right?

Still waiting to hear from s2man... PM Sent.

Then of course a new member to the team to replace repete86.

Per da rules:

..."At least two cars must be above the Mason-Dixon Line; at least one car must each have an automatic transmission and one with 4-doors (one vehicle can satisfy both requirements)"...

We easily meet the 'above the MD Line'
We easily meet the 'one with 4-doors'

with s2man we meet the 'automatic transmission' (Stu, you still out there?)

...if we are all back we can accept any location, car and drivetrain new member on the team.

We will wait to hear back from s2man, but we will need a new member regardless to replace repete86.

NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP TO TEAM OPEC BUSTERS.