Team OPEC Busters - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
XFi
Registered Member

Team OPEC Busters

I went to post an update, but saw that the Stats and Standings thread wasn't posted in for a few weeks.

SOoooo...Thought I would start a thread for our team, (yes, jumping on the bandwagon) since other teams already have. Obviously anyone is invited to post and add thier input, but it gives OPEC Busters an easier place to communicate than Private Messages.

Team OPEC Busters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEAM UPDATED SINCE THIS POST-PLEASE SEE MORE RECENT POSTING FOR CURRENT TEAM MEMBERS
s2man (Captain)
Porthos, the Cavalier

Brock
Jetta Wagon

repete86 <<<RETIRED FROM COMPETITION>>>
The Green Machine

theclencher
The Lambo

XFi
Now
--------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago, I ordered a Hyundai Engine Block Heater from the Dealership. They had no info on it, just a part number and price. I just picked it up- it is a freeze plug type and heats the coolant. I have an appt for NOW on Monday to get it installed. Hope that helps a little with the cold weather.

I have not installed my FeverBuster EFIE yet. I am looking for a section of the factory plugs/wiring harness from a salvage/donor vehicle so I don't hack into my wires. Anxious to get it in before the Cold weather so I can compare results to my current tanks.

Talking about my current tanks, Last one...I hit 40mpg for the 1st time. This tank is also on track for over 40 with about 100miles to go.

Also in the works is the fuel injector shut off. I may install that at the same time as the EFIE, but don't plan to use it until I can see my results from the EFIE.

How 'bout the rest of the Team??? Any planned/current changes or ideas for this or the next challange???

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Smile Team OPEC Busters

Awsome XFi! Thanks for starting this thread. I"ve been out of town for a week, (sorry, I forgot to tell you guys), and I was just going to do this myself. I'm very interested in your FeverBuster EFIE, XFi. I've only seen the eagle Reasearch version. So I'm off to read all about their products now...

I've got my Cavalier up on blocks right now, to change a hub and tie-rod end. Those should both help with the rolling resistance. And I won't take it down until I get those plugs & coils replaced! (they're on the back of engine by the firewall ). My cardboard grill block has started sagging with our recent rains, but I've got the coroplast to make it permanent now.

Thanks again, XFi.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ugh. the recent rains have certainly awoken the mosquitoes. I got the tie-rod end installed yesterday. But Despite using Off. and having two citronella candles in the wheel well, the 'skeeters drove me back in the house in about 30 minutes; I'll attack it again as soon as I get home this evening.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thumbs up Great Idea!

Great idea and good team leadership, XFi!

I've been out of the loop for a while, so sorry for the lack of updates. Once I figure out where we are in the season and how much time we have left, then perhaps an update can be announced.

Commish
Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
XFi
Registered Member

EFIE RESULTS (or lack there of) & FAILED FUEL INJECTOR CUTOFF ATTEMPT

Thanks for the kind words s2man and rh77!

S2man, Did you ever finish the hub, plugs and coils? Porthos rolling again? I have had WAY too many days and nights fixing my car in the driveway in all sorts of weather. Thankfully my father put in a garage at his house the other year, (my house is less than 5 minutes from there) otherwise I probably am getting to the point that I may pay someone to do the work (guess I'm getting old and lazy). Good luck fighting the mosquitos and good to hear from you again.

I've had two tanks/fills with the EFIE and in my opinion, it didn't make any difference with my car (besides the check engine light). Although, I have not given up on it yet. The millivolts do go up and down somewhat according to the temp, but I have it set at approximately 240mv (fluctuates a little higher or lower).

Since my mileage has not improved with this alone, I just added some acetone this tank. If I get positive results, I will add the same amount and turn off the EFIE to see any increase/decrease...with/without it.

I also tried (unsuccesfully) to wire in a fuel injector shut off. I was going to take the ground wire for the injectors (cut and combine them) and run it into a switch. I do not have a wiring diagram, so I utilized my volt meter and good old wire tracing (opened up several looms). The grounds are all seperate and go back into the main plug for the ECM seperately (never combine into one). This also throws on the check engine light for an open circuit fault in the corresponding injector circuit. Any suggestions on another way???

Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

CEL vs. ICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
ps don't diddle with an injector cut off, it's fruitless. how many damn times are we going to reinvent the wheel here?
If you have an SG, then it's a simple to reset the CEL -- a small price, IMO, to pay for confirmed injector cutoff.

Another way to see for sure if the injectors automatically perform this function, is to hook up an LED inline with the voltage feed, stepped-down as appropriate. Rapid blinking indicates injector pulse, light absence is cutoff.

Fuel saved with cutoff -- not sure: based on engine type. For me, I know if the the TPS is at the minimum (9) and the engine is > 2000 RPM, then the fuel is cut. Otherwise, some juice is added to the mix.

Each mileage will vary.

RH77
Old 10-01-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
XFi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
i have successfully repelled skeeters by working in the blast of a powerful fan

ps don't diddle with an injector cut off, it's fruitless. how many damn times are we going to reinvent the wheel here?
Maybe I am not using the correct terminology. I am not trying to 'reinvent the wheel' with a fuel injector cut off. My reasoning behind this is to provide myself with a 'engine kill switch' that will keep my scan gauge and instruments (odometer) active during EOC...unlike turning the key off. When I searched old posts, it seems like the fuel injector cutoff method is prefered than the ignition cut off.

TheClencher, have you utilized an injector or ignition cutoff switch at all for Engine Off Coasting?

Also, rh77...The vehicle also exibited (in addition to the CEL) a poor run condition when I tried bunching/ganging the fuel injector wires together. If it was just the CEL, I probably would have kept it. Short of running all four wires in seperately (to a four pole switch), I'm not sure how else this can be accomplished on my vehicle.

Thank you both for your input

Old 10-01-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Registered Member

Whoopsie, my bad- thought it was for disabling a few cylinders. I just use the key.

Disabling a few cylinders via killing some injectors does pop up with amazing regularity here though.

As far as what you want to do I'm sure it's detailed here somewhere. I've no scangauge so I haven't done it.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Maybe I am not using the correct terminology. I am not trying to 'reinvent the wheel' with a fuel injector cut off. My reasoning behind this is to provide myself with a 'engine kill switch' that will keep my scan gauge and instruments (odometer) active during EOC...unlike turning the key off. When I searched old posts, it seems like the fuel injector cutoff method is prefered than the ignition cut off.

TheClencher, have you utilized an injector or ignition cutoff switch at all for Engine Off Coasting?

Also, rh77...The vehicle also exibited (in addition to the CEL) a poor run condition when I tried bunching/ganging the fuel injector wires together. If it was just the CEL, I probably would have kept it. Short of running all four wires in seperately (to a four pole switch), I'm not sure how else this can be accomplished on my vehicle.

Thank you both for your input
This may be similar to what you're trying, but I think I remember a way to route the cut at/near the injector's fuse(s).

Describe more about the bad running condition -- did it go into some sort of "Safe-Mode" with limited power? Some ECUs freak out when the injectors "malfunction"...

RH77
Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hey guys, I've been really busy lately, and haven't had any time to come onto the site or check in. I have two new tanks posted in my gaslog, but unfortunately will have to leave the group. It's just getting to be too much of a task to get the mileage that I'm getting since most of my mileage is highway for jobs. I was on tour with a band for the Florida leg of their tour doing live sound and barely made it in time to one of the gigs becuase I was driving at 50 while the rest of the caravan were going 75. I'm also a bit worried about the wear and tear on my car from P&Ging in an auto as much as I do and restarting the car in neutral. Plus, I'm just not driving often at all, so don't have many contributions to give to the team.

Sorry I have to go guys. I'll check in whenever I can though to see how things are going.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote