Teflon - Slick50 - Synlube + Oils & Additives - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #81
Site Team / Moderator

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Being young & stupid I loaned my Buick to my sister who drove it around without checking the oil. When I got it back the car had about 2 quarts of oil left in it. Afterward, the car would not hold oil pressure. Not being able to afford a new engine or a new car at the time I dumped a bottle of Slick 50 in, and drive the car with the oil pressure light on for 2 years. I would definitely say it works.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #82
Registered Member

If the oil light didn't go out, how do you know it actually made a difference? It could've ran those additional 2 years w/o the Synjunk.

I've got a van at work that I've put 30k miles on in 4 years, the oil light was on when I began this job and it's still on. Does that mean I should now praise Napa brand oil for extending this engine's life?

Jan - have you had the oil analyzed yet?

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #83
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it just ground up? My understanding is that the Teflon will actually be bonded to the surface (although the details of the chemistry are somewhat beyond me).
I don't think they can add it as a liquid. Ads and labels talk about it sticking to surfaces. Make it could actually, chemically bond to them, but won't it also bond to areas where it isn't needed, in oil channels, pump screens, etc. Depending on the size of the teflon particles, the oil filter might just remove them.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #84
Registered Member

Xcelplus

Hi,

You can find most of the tests you have been talking about on

www.xcelplus.com.au

The original Slick-50 formula is now known as Xcelplus.

The original formula does not use Teflon. Teflon was not the active ingredient in the original formula... although a lot of people thought it was.

On the site you will also find John Bishop the chemist who invented the product talking about all this and why the link to Slick-50 was broken in the early 80's.

Only one formula has all the testing behind it... Xcelplus.

Due to the name change a certain amount of confusion has arisen.

Hope that helps?

:-)
Old 05-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #85
Registered Member

Xcelplus

Coating is only 1-2 microns... which does not block anything or affect clearances.

No Teflon in the original product... so no issues with blocking anything with Teflon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I don't think they can add it as a liquid. Ads and labels talk about it sticking to surfaces. Make it could actually, chemically bond to them, but won't it also bond to areas where it isn't needed, in oil channels, pump screens, etc. Depending on the size of the teflon particles, the oil filter might just remove them.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #86
Registered Member

Xcelplus

Teflon contains fluoride... and at temperatures over 327oC it breaks down to HF (Hydrofluoric Acid) which apart from being very corrosive is also very dangerous (not normally allowed to use it in the lab).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Effectiveness aside, why would you think that? Teflon is chemically stable to temperatures a lot higher than your oil will typically see. It's also fairly inert, unless you know of some possible reaction with a component of motor oil... Or do you think it would break down during the oil reprocessing? (not that I'd go eating the stuff, either...)
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #87
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelplus View Post
The original Slick-50 formula is now known as Xcelplus.
Xcelplus, can you provide links to 3rd party sites with no vested interest that can back up your claims?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelplus View Post
Teflon contains fluoride... and at temperatures over 260oC it breaks down to HF (Hydrofluoric Acid) which apart from being very corrosive is also very dangerous (not normally allowed to use it in the lab).

Besides the exhaust, I don't think anywhere in the oiling system gets near 260 degrees...? (Maybe the tip-top of the combustion chamber, but I don't think that would be an oiled surface...)

-BC
Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #89
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post

Jan - have you had the oil analyzed yet?
Not yet - was driving the bottle with the sample and the old filter around in the back of the box since December and finally had to clean out 45lbs of tools and "Stuff" to do a Logan Airport pickup. I really notice the less weight now as the ride is a lot more bouncy. Need to sent it off to Synlube to have it checked but as going so long without adding anything to the oil is was only a concern that the sacrificial components of the Synlube to prevent corrosion were getting low so when I changed the filter I added the remaining 3/4 quart of "Add Oil" which has a higher concentration of the additives to top off the engine oil level instead of using the "Initial Fill" to make up what came out with the filter.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #90
Registered Member

Xcelplus

What claims specifically?

Consumers digest... why don't you write to them and verify they really did make the statements?

DOE (Department Of Energy)... why not write to them too and ask if the document we quote is real?

Aircraft testing (about 296 pages)... the FAA takes aircraft safety very seriously... so you should have no trouble verifying that one.

We have tests there from the Military, NASA and many independent labs.

We even quote the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) which came down hard on one of our competitors who used our tests. They settled for $10M for fraudulently using our tests on their product.

That's about as independent as you get.

We have video's too.

We are the only company that provides detailed testing and posts the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Xcelplus, can you provide links to 3rd party sites with no vested interest that can back up your claims?

Closed Thread