Temperature of air in my intake - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Temperature of air in my intake

So today I put a thermometer sensor in my air intake right before the throttle body. I did this to see how much my hot air intake affects the temperature. The thermometer is just you basic indoor/ outdoor digital thermometer. Today was 55F and raining. When I was crusing at 40mph the air temp was 95 to 105. It was higher in stop and go conditions (temps went up to 134).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

I did test the stock sytem a

I did test the stock sytem a long time ago. On my saturn stock intake temps are about 10 degrees warmer the ambient air (hotter in traffic).

So i am only gaining 30-40 degrees.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Driving on E

Is this WITH the HAI

Is this WITH the HAI installed? I'd be very interested in seeing what it is like without the HAI for comparison.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
*shrug*

Where's your air come from?

Where's your air come from? Often the header sucks because the air through the radiator keeps it pretty cool, you need to block that air or make sure you're drawing from behind the header.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Re: Where's your air come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Where's your air come from? Often the header sucks because the air through the radiator keeps it pretty cool, you need to block that air or make sure you're drawing from behind the header.
That's where I'm at. I'm getting some decent temps: 120 up to 160 in stop-n-go with some recent mods, but out on the highway it goes down -- I definitely need to block off the flow. I honestly I don't see it overheating being blocked, the heat could escape through hood gaps -- if it becomes a problem, then I envision a vacuum or electric operated duct to open and let cool in, or to relocate the rad.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

It is a cone filter off the

It is a cone filter off the headers svo. i am going to see if i can raise up the temps some more with alluminum foil and other insulation stuff (it won't look pretty).

Old 05-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

I can't believe how much my

I can't believe how much my car hates warm air. A couple weeks back I tried a little warmer air by flipping around the Civic snorkel thing so it sucks air from behind the radiator instead of behind the headlight. I have about half the radiator blocked (guage reads exactly the same as before), but the air can't be very hot.

Anyway, it worked fine during cold weather, but when it gets over 70 it'll ping like crazy at high throttle settings. Doesn't matter the RPM. I flipped it back and it works fine again. This is a dead stock D16z6, and I checked the timing not long ago. I'm glad I tried the free/simple path before something more elaborate.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

hm the scangauge reports

hm the scangauge reports airintake temp but i still don't have a use for it besides monitering how hot my 12 volt battery will be. If it gets too hold I"d consider turning the thermostat to "hot" so that the engine can cool off and vice versa when trying to warm it up.

But I notice, the cooler the air... more power! but how it affects mileage it sucks.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 AM   #9
*shrug*

My superMID came in the mail

My superMID came in the mail yesterday (3 days for japan, holy ****), so I will pick it up after work today and DIY the installation and start testing **** ASAP.

HAI will be first on my list (easiest and I've seen some good numbers for those who have liked it).
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

The superMID will really

The superMID will really open up the FE increase for you. The butt dyno just can help you see how inefficient we drive. But try to keep your eye's on the road. and I'll watch as your numbers climb.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote