The amazing gas mileage blunder - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Nominated for the most extreme necropost ever accomplished on GasSavers.org...can anyone cite a more extreme example?

A mid-eighties Accord is ten years older than a mid-nineties VX, most of which are already too old to be cost-effective unless you can do your own repairs and can get the parts cheap.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

You have to consider that this is a zombie thread... It died 3 years ago and has come back to life.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Registered Member

I will chime in on this dead thread. Car companies don't make cars any more. The Government makes cars. Enough said.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #14

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...ecromancer.htm

Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic lover View Post
I will chime in on this dead thread. Car companies don't make cars any more. The Government makes cars. Enough said.
And that is bad how? Do we all want to be driving in light and cheap chery amulets? If lotus can make the elise a road legal car here, I don't know what keep companies to still make light cars.

woopy
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

The belief that a car gas to be a lightweight tin can to be efficient is simply wrong.

regards
gary
Old 12-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Registered Member

Was going to respond but noticed the date and said which grave yard did this come from. Most hybrids i have noticed are going 75 to 80 mph, no where near the 60 mph they should be going to get the best results. Oh well, human nature. I am saving one half of the calories so i can eat three times as much.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

Drove the wifes Murano to our daughters house and back yesterday and today.

I took over on I95 North at Ashland Va, for a 60 mile hop on the interstate. Reset the MPG meter and drove 60 MPH in the right lane. Averaged 30 MPG. Then I tried it at 65 MPH and did a little drafting, 28.5 MPG. She had been averaging 25.1 MPG before I took over.

Thats 3800 pounds and 245 HP rated at 20-24 MPG. It was fun and broke up the monotony of a trip we have taken many times.

regards
gary
Old 12-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
And that is bad how? Do we all want to be driving in light and cheap chery amulets? If lotus can make the elise a road legal car here, I don't know what keep companies to still make light cars.

woopy
I am not saying we shouldn't have safe cars. I just don't like government intervention in the development of cars. I don't think Honda would have ever let their Civic get so large if the government wasn't involved. If people want to drive a tin box (89' Civic) then let them. I just don't really have that option any more and it upsets me. I can tell you just because my name says Civic lover I won't be buying a 6th gen when they are cheaper, because they are too big.
civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The Civic is larger because of market forces, nothing else. Nothing the government did encouraged upsizing a compact car. CAFE encourages making it smaller and just selling SUVs instead to the people who need space.

Look at ANY model of car from ANY manufacturer. Since the '80s, every model has grown. To fill the space left by the smallest models, new small models are created, which then grow, and are followed by more new small models. Civic? Fit. Sentra? Versa. Etc.