The Festiva - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

My previous driver was an '86 TBird Turbo Coupe with a 5 speed. I'd get 27-29 mpg in mixed driving. Bext of 32 mpg on the highway. I sold it with 251,756 miles on it, (it's still going with 260K on the original engine). Wanted something with good mpg and a Ford emblem on the front, thus the Festiva in the driveway. The Festiva seems to be a great little car (kinda miss the power of the TBird's 2.3 turbo .... but i have a 2.3 Turboed SVO Mustang in the garage). I drive about 400 miles a week so the savings really add up from the Festiva!

Old 12-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

Festivas were nice, Mazda 121/Kia Pride based cars. A shame we did not get the other bodystyles in the US.

There is one sitting without tags at a Citgo station in Lebanon, TN on the US70-I40 exit, with the factory aluminum wheels. Not sure if for sale, but I did make a mental note of it.

For those with a bit of age on them, there is someone driving around the area with a red Ford FIESTA. I have not seen one in years, but this one has popped up a couple times now.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Festiva- I like 'em!

This is exactly why I love this forum! Here in south Louisiana I would have had my azz kicked and called a fag for saying that.

I swear to you I am the only one around here that loves these small cars. It's sooo bad here infact that I get stares and talked about behind my back about my 92 Suzuki Sidekick. When someone finially asks me how it's driving and doesn't seem to care that I do own it I know I have met a friend indeed.

I want an old Metro or Festiva. My next door neighbors have 2, but one is a young girl in college and the other is the brother who wreaked his BIG chevy truck and has no chose. Maybe, after I take some self defence class I can feel comfortable with getting one.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #14
Registered Member

That's a sad state of affairs.

The automakers & Madison avenue must be ecstatic that cultural forces have become so strong (at their urging) that people will consciously and reluctantly choose a vehicle they do not really need or want out of fear of social repercussions from choosing something overtly efficient.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
Registered Member

It is SAD. It's even harder as a single guy looking for a girl. I'm not sure how many have passed on me for the car I drive. I haven't asked, but I have a younger sister and between her and all of her friends the mans car means a lot to them.

I guess when I do met someone and they are not into a guy with a Benz and such (and not because you can't afford one but would rather not drive it) then I know she is the right one for me.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

Better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt
It is SAD. It's even harder as a single guy looking for a girl. I'm not sure how many have passed on me for the car I drive. I haven't asked, but I have a younger sister and between her and all of her friends the mans car means a lot to them.

I guess when I do met someone and they are not into a guy with a Benz and such (and not because you can't afford one but would rather not drive it) then I know she is the right one for me.
Better off without them.

Attaboy, brelandt. You're better off without the ones so influenced by what others think that they don't think themselves.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #17
Supporting Member

brelandt -

Yeah, I was lucky because my first car was my Dad's Karmann Ghia, so I got to be thrifty and cool in Los Angeles at the same time.

One thing I have learned over the years is that you gotta be you. If driving a Festiva is you, and someone looks down on you, then great! They have done you a favor by showing you their shallow nature and aren't worth your time. It's kind of a self-weeding process, IMO.

I have grown to really like driving a non-cool car. I still miss my Saturn SC2 coupe and CRX and Ghia, but I enjoy driving my mini-uncool-thrifty-USA-union-built wagon just the same.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

That's car culture for you right there. Less than a year ago, my dad was still driving his worn out (but still reliable) '95 Intrepid which was beginning to by an eyesore when our neighbours are driving Lexuses, Acuras, and VW Touaregs. Even car commercials on the radio say "You're successful. You deserve the car of the year". It's all about image when it comes to what we drive. Perhaps if a person lived in another part of town, a '95 Intrepid would be considered an upgrade.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
brelandt -

Yeah, I was lucky because my first car was my Dad's Karmann Ghia, so I got to be thrifty and cool in Los Angeles at the same time.

One thing I have learned over the years is that you gotta be you. If driving a Festiva is you, and someone looks down on you, then great! They have done you a favor by showing you their shallow nature and aren't worth your time. It's kind of a self-weeding process, IMO.

I have grown to really like driving a non-cool car. I still miss my Saturn SC2 coupe and CRX and Ghia, but I enjoy driving my mini-uncool-thrifty-USA-union-built wagon just the same.

CarloSW2
Domestic doesn't mean anything anymore. Straight from the Federal Trade Commision Archives

Quote:
However, there is no vehicle in mass production today made
with virtually all American parts.

Also, I find vehicle appearance is very strong with not just women, but undereducated men as well. A friend of mine got a bright yellow Saturn, a fuel efficint little hatchback, but everyone wants this car. I just found it funny.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
ELF
Registered Member

I had a festiva, 1988 got it new, loved that car, always got over 40 mpg no matter how I drove it. I put 130k on it and never had to replace anything except the tires, and they made it to 90k. I wish they still made a car like that, I would buy one in a heartbeat.