Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
If you are looking for a cheap car, I wouldn't go for any of the TDIs. They tend to hold their value a lot better than your typical gasser. I personally own one, and I paid what I consider to be a pretty penny for it. Then again, these cars don't just die on you if you keep up on the scheduled maintenance. You can also expect more than 300k miles out of them. If I remember correctly, you are into dumpster diving, so that might work for you too.
I looked for months trying to find a TDI I only found one, but I am absolutely over automatic transmissions (having poor luck in the past). Either everyone was totaling them, or just didn't want to sell them I eventually settled on my gasser Jetta - not because I'm partial to VW, but because it was the only standard shift I could find that wasn't out of my price range. :Shakes fist in air:

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

trebuchet03: There is no shortage of TDIs for sale... they just normally sell above KBB value. I was about to get another TDI (auto for the wife) until my dad talked me out of it. What the heck I was thinking, I do not know. A quick trip to the www.tdiclub.com forums set me straight. Lifespan of the auto transmission in a TDI is about 100-150k miles, and it costs anywhere from $4,000 to $6,000 to replace.

I will continue to watch the auctions for another one. Luckily, being that the mileage you can get out of a manual is so proportionally greater than that of an A/T, there tends to be more TDIs with manual transmissions.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

If I were to go with a TDI, it would be a MK1. Those ones are very affordable. I can pick one up for less than $3k, and I know that they last forever. I'm just worried about it dying while I'm on the road.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

They won't die once running unless there's a fuel line obstruction and the IP ends up sucking down air. In fact, for the 1.5L engines, run-away from blow-by is a greater concern IMO.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
DUDE Get a Yaris - it's a great engine and should last a long time - just get a very light color i.e. Polar White!! heh heh heh! The white body on my xB was NEVER too hot to touch on a sunny day - just the glass got a bit warm.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
Registered Member

Get the Yaris, the engine is great and if you can go with manual thats better. You'll have better control over the power range. i have more fun in that car than anything else, plus the 1.5l engine loves to be in the upper rpm range.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
Registered Member

Don't get the Yaris, or any newer car for that matter, unless you have the cash burning a hole in your packet and don't know what to do w/ it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

Can't beat newer car reliability and a warranty.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

I can and I do. As reliable as a new car may be, given the cost, someone who is willing to put in a little elbow grease can have something as reliable for a small fraction of that cost. That being said, it ain't nearly as worthwhile if the owner doesn't do their own work, but that's true of just about anything IMO.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
XFi
Registered Member

repete86, say it's not true. Sorry to hear about the Green Machine. I would definately get an estimate and submit it to the State. Good Luck

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote