*The official what works to improve miles per gallon thread* - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Flatland2D and krousdb both

Flatland2D and krousdb both have the same car and it the overinflating didn't work for them. Maybe it's the car???

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
*shrug*

I'll be my little negative

I'll be my little negative self and say that I don't like the idea of this thread because I feel that the idea of this entire site is to present options and prove or disprove them allowing the user to come to their own conclusions. There is so much out there about acetone, but it just plain kills my mileage. Universals are not good with so many engines and cars and all that.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

Some stuff only works on

Some stuff only works on some cars, some stuff doesn't work on any car. Overinflating worked for me. Aero mods worked for me.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

Re: I'll be my little negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I'll be my little negative self and say that I don't like the idea of this thread because I feel that the idea of this entire site is to present options and prove or disprove them allowing the user to come to their own conclusions. There is so much out there about acetone, but it just plain kills my mileage. Universals are not good with so many engines and cars and all that.
What do you think we are doing now??? We are proving and disaproving.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
*shrug*

Well then, this seems like a

Well then, this seems like a good case for Hume's Fork.

Type 1: All the things verified in this thread increase fuel economy.
Type 2: All the things in this thread increased Compaq's fuel economy through testing.

Hume would say that type one is a tautology and seeks to create and absolute rule, which cannot exist in our less than ideal world. Therefore, type one statements are useless and misleading.

However, type two does tell us something specific and therefore has value as it refers directly to what actually happened regarding Compaq's fuel economy.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
works doesn't work

Hey maybe someone has a leak in their gas tank or someone is adding and removing gas when they are not looking to screw with their head. LOL

How about we all add to a list of possible gas mileage enhansements and then report on which ones were successful or not. Is there a data base in this site? Each could plug in the approximate % or mpg increase for each thing tried. Just having a list of all possible things and the MPG of your vehicle and seeing what is being used for each car will help us to see any patterns that may indicate positive results.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #17
Registered Member

I don't have a engine block

I don't have a engine block heater, I also don't have a manual transmission so I can't do the pulse and glide. After doing some research those 2 look like they improve mpg. It's not secret that a warmed up car gets better mpg than a cold car. The inflated tires work because I can go 75mph-90mph and still get 25mpg. Before with the tires at regular pressure I barely got 24mpg.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #18
*shrug*

Quote:I don't have a engine

Quote:
I don't have a engine block heater, I also don't have a manual transmission so I can't do the pulse and glide. After doing some research those 2 look like they improve mpg. It's not secret that a warmed up car gets better mpg than a cold car. The inflated tires work because I can go 75mph-90mph and still get 25mpg. Before with the tires at regular pressure I barely got 24mpg.
That's besides my point.

JanGeo - I suggested that to matt like a bajillion months ago,
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 AM   #19
Registered Member

I'm joining later here...

Can I throw-in:

* Hotter Thermostat
* WAI

By the way, the jury is still out on using 91-Octane fuel to compensate for the hotter engine jacket temps and intake air temps. I did quite a bit of city driving and got 1 more mpg than the last tank. If it's all or mostly highway, my hypothesis is that it will improve the mileage a bit more. Detonation doesn't seem to be a problem, though (and I don't have a knock sensor), but timing advance went from an average of +30-35 to +20-25. I don't get the role of timing advance on economy just yet, tho...

RH77

*edit*
PS
Someone asked me how much energy my EBH was using and if the cost/benefit ratio was there in electricity vs. fuel. I argued that the coal plant has a better scrubber on the smokestack than I do on my tailpipe and that power is cleaner in bulk although there's a lot of voltage loss over the course of trip from the power plant to the plug.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:09 AM   #20
Registered Member

I don't know about adding a

I don't know about adding a WAI. That trip I made for Matt's challange and I had a wai. I only got 31mpg. On other trips with the stock intake I got 32-33mpg consistent.