*The official what works to improve miles per gallon thread* - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #31
Registered Member

Yes it's a short ram intake.

Yes it's a short ram intake. It is designed to get warm air because it's in the engine bay unlike a CAI that is inside a fender getting cold air. I don't know if you noticed but inside the engine bay it's very hot.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #32
*shrug*

Yes, I have noticed it is

Yes, I have noticed it is warm. But it is not the design of the SRI. The SRI is sposed to take air from inside the compartment, much like the stock one, but a greater volume. The inside of the engine bay in nowheresville is much less hot than directly after the exhaust headers. The idea of the WAI is to decrease air sucked in, not to increase it.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #33
Registered Member

The wai increases the air

The wai increases the air sucked in. The stock setup is very resrictive, all a WAI does is kill the restriction and let's the air in.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #34
Registered Member

Re: Yes, I have noticed it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Yes, I have noticed it is warm. But it is not the design of the SRI. The SRI is sposed to take air from inside the compartment, much like the stock one, but a greater volume. The inside of the engine bay in nowheresville is much less hot than directly after the exhaust headers. The idea of the WAI is to decrease air sucked in, not to increase it.
I'm going to have to side with SVO on this one -- it may have been marketed as a "Warm-Air Intake", but it may not have taken in enough hot air to make a difference. Since it has a shorter length and probably a larger-than-stock diameter, it probably effected the flow properties of the air, potentially creating lower fuel economy (more air + more fuel = more power). You need HOT air, it really should be called an HAI on stock tubing diameters or smaller. Also, the Nissan might not like hot air like MetroMPG's vehicle.

RH77
Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #35
FE nut

Re: Overiflating tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludgy
Overnflating tires (i.e. higher that the pressure rating stamped on the sidewall) is a good way to get a blow out. Let's restrict our modifications to SAFE ones.
Actually, underinflated tires are more likely to cause a blowout according to at least one article that I read recently. Remember Firestone and the Ford Explorer? A combination of high speed and low tire pressure were co-contributors to those blowouts.

Other than sidewall warnings and dire warnings on tire related websites, can someone please point me toward reports of actual failures due to overinflation? If it is so dangerous, there are probably lots of examples, right? I googled and googled but was not able to find anything. But that was about a year ago. I'm just too lazy to regoogle.

People ask the question all of the time about tire pressures. I don't understand why we would decide not to discuss it. Seems like censorship to me.
I have to agree with krousdb about underinflation. I have been running my tires overinflated for several years and have not seen any uneven wear and definately haven't had any blow-outs. Every time I've ever heard of someone having a blow-out was when it was associated with underinflation. Underinflation causes extra heat which seems to speed up deterioration which leads to failure.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #36
Registered Member

Re: Yes, I have noticed it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
it really should be called an HAI
i think you're onto something here - we really have a terminology problem. what i tested on my car IS a HAI, not a WAI.

when i just unplugged the snorkle tube to the stock CAI in the fender i would have called that a WAI.

my experience, at around 30F ambient:

CAI IAT: 50ish F
WAI IAT: 70ish F
HAI IAT: 115ish F

Quote:
Also, the Nissan might not like hot air like MetroMPG's vehicle.
it's not that it didn't like it, it just didn't make a measurable MPG difference in the conditions tested. mileage didn't decrease.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #37
Registered Member

I'm sure I can modify my

I'm sure I can modify my intake so that it does improve my mpg, but I need to do a lot of testing.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #38
*shrug*

Quote:i think you're onto

Quote:
i think you're onto something here - we really have a terminology problem.
I agree. Especially when we're doing new crap and making up our on names for these contraptions some terminology needs to be settled upon.

Wiki me!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
must read site

Hey guys check this site out:

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #40
Registered Member

Re: must read site

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey guys check this site out:

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm
OK so when I add all of these up, the total gain is between 17 - 47 MPG. In thier summary they stated 17 - 37. I guess they can't count. Or maybe I can't count. It also adds up to 85 - 210% boost. I assume that means percentage increase.

I'm currently doing #'s 6,7,9,10,12 which is worth 8-16 MPG. I am averaging 50 MPG which is 14 MPG over the combined EPA so I guess I can't argue with those items.

I am planning to do #4 and 8 which would boost me another 2-5 MPG.

#2, 3 and 5 sound more expensive than they are worth. #11 sounds kinda wacky to me because the exhaust manifold gets pretty darn hot. I don't see how aluminum foil will make much of a difference.

But here is the good news! According to the article, "your auto will NEVER run efficiently until you add acetone". So evan at 50 MPG, my auto is not running efficiently!

WOOT! SHIZZLE! YO G!

Ima gonna get me some acetone. Just think what I could do if my engine was actually efficient! ;-)

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote