*The official what works to improve miles per gallon thread* - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
ROFL

Yeah I figured it would be good for a laugh! You should hear about the guy in BETTERMPG going on about spark plug wires!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #42
Registered Member

That's funny, I should see

That's funny, I should see at least 10mpg improvement.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #43
Driving on E

Re: must read site

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
WOOT! SHIZZLE! YO G!
You're cracking me up here.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:08 AM   #44
FE nut

Re: ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Yeah I figured it would be good for a laugh! You should hear about the guy in BETTERMPG going on about spark plug wires!
That wouldn't be me, would it. ;-) I disagreed with the suggestion that high resistance was best and I think I opened up a can of worms. :-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #45
Registered Member

I believe switching to new

I believe switching to new wires will just make less problems later. Plus NGK>Bosch anyday.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #46
Driving on E

Re: ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Quote:
That wouldn't be me, would it. ;-) I disagreed with the suggestion that high resistance was best and I think I opened up a can of worms. :-)
There was a long discussion about spark plug wires on the n600 yahoo group I frequent. Basically someone said to go with solid core wires because they are better... etc. etc. Someone else said to use the carbon core wires, as they will not interfere with the radio like solid core will.

The argument continued. One person said that all race cars use solid core wires, and then someone else mentioned that race cars will do anything to squeeze that extra .01% of power.

In the end, I use carbon wires. They work just fine, which is all I really care about, at least on the n600.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #47
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
DiamondLarry

Hey it was you !!! you guys get around.

Bottom line from my rambler days - the bigger the gap the higher the voltage the more energy the spark releases and the better it can ignite the air fuel mixture espically if the mixture is lean. Carbon wires loose a little bit of energy and reduce radiation and may get a little warm to ward off moisture. Last thing you want next to electronic sensors is RF interferrence so use the carbon resistor wires.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #48
Registered Member

Re: Quote:i think you're onto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
i think you're onto something here - we really have a terminology problem.
I agree. Especially when we're doing new crap and making up our on names for these contraptions some terminology needs to be settled upon.

Wiki me!
Wiki me already! (the HAI terminology was my idea -- evil laugh) Ha, ha -- I'll make Billions! Wait, Wikipedia is free -- dammit :-)

But yes, since we seem to be doing some different things compared with other groups, common terminology and implementation should be agreed upon.

Back to the tires -- I've never heard of an "overinflation" blow-out -- the underinflation creates more heat, breaks down the tire, and bickety-bam! I've run 40+ on 44 max tires and only have very minor wear in the center of the tread, and the tires' are worn out anyway, so it's minimal compared with the efficiency result. Common physics tells you that a harder tire is easier to propel than an soft tire -- try riding a bike with those conditions. At autocross, we would pump-up our street tires to 50 lbs + and adjust them after every run as they heated up. Never a blow-out in my experiences -- even as an observer.

Common physics tells you that a harder tire is easier to propel than an soft tire -- try riding a bike with those conditions. It has to provide better economy, but "how much" is the question.

RH77
Old 02-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #49
Registered Member

Re: DiamondLarry

Quote:
the bigger the gap the higher the voltage the more energy the spark releases and the better it can ignite the air fuel mixture
but the site mentioned above claims exactly the opposite:

Quote:
Set the spark plug gap to 0.025 for best results. Or close your factory gap by .010
the effect of gap is something i've never looked into.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #50
FE nut

Re: Quote:i think you're onto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
i think you're onto something here - we really have a terminology problem.
I agree. Especially when we're doing new crap and making up our on names for these contraptions some terminology needs to be settled upon.

Wiki me!
Wiki me already! (the HAI terminology was my idea -- evil laugh) Ha, ha -- I'll make Billions! Wait, Wikipedia is free -- dammit :-)

But yes, since we seem to be doing some different things compared with other groups, common terminology and implementation should be agreed upon.

Back to the tires -- I've never heard of an "overinflation" blow-out -- the underinflation creates more heat, breaks down the tire, and bickety-bam! I've run 40+ on 44 max tires and only have very minor wear in the center of the tread, and the tires' are worn out anyway, so it's minimal compared with the efficiency result. Common physics tells you that a harder tire is easier to propel than an soft tire -- try riding a bike with those conditions. At autocross, we would pump-up our street tires to 50 lbs + and adjust them after every run as they heated up. Never a blow-out in my experiences -- even as an observer.

Common physics tells you that a harder tire is easier to propel than an soft tire -- try riding a bike with those conditions. It has to provide better economy, but "how much" is the question.

RH77
I have been running 50-55 in my tires that are rated at 44 for nearly a year now with no bad effects.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote