The price of the pursuit of FE... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

The price of the pursuit of FE...

So, as many of you know, I drive a VX that is what I'd call "high profile." The modifications I've made to it to increase FE have made it stand out from the crowd in almost all situations. I'm okay with this, but sometimes the attention is not good.

Background:
I play music for a living. I drive to gigs with my gear in the VX, unload, play a set, and come out to my car to cool off/relax between sets.

I've had people drive beside me on two lane roads and rev their motor (most often while I'm EOCing!) because they think that I think I've built a "race car." That's easy to shrug off and it's usually pretty funny. I've had notes left on my car, one read, "your car is dope." I took it to mean they liked it, although I think they might have been being sarcastic. I've had people write in the dust/dirt on the glass not nice things like F** (not nice term for homosexuals), etc. Again, somewhat comical, no harm done. I've even see someone finish up peeing on my car (while very drunk, obviously) as I'm approaching it.

Tonight, however, was different. I was actually relaxing on a break listening to "Friday night jazz" on the local Public radio station. 4 or 5 guys came out of the bar to their truck. One of these guys decided to pee on my car.... with me in it! He didn't know I was there, obviously, but man, what nerve!
I got out, and said, "Can I help you?" He said no, and I asked him why he was peeing on my car. He told me he wasn't.
I was angry, but there were 4 or 5 of them and one of me. All of them were bigger than me. Not since high school have I had any desire to be physically violent with anyone...... I sure wanted to when that happened. Oh well, the only thing damaged was my pride. No permanent harm done to the car.

To make matters worse, I'd had a rough day and wasn't feeling good physically or emotionally. This was a nice icing on the cake.

I'm glad I didn't have a meltdown, because that could have easily gotten ugly. This was in a rough part of the state. Any one of these guys could have been carrying a weapon.

Anyway, I needed to vent. People suck. All I want to do is drive my high FE car and be left alone.... Worse yet, this guy wasn't peeing on my car because I like high FE, he was likely doing it because he thought I was a "racer."
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: The price of the pursuit of FE...

Dont take your safety for granted! I carry a pistol in my car now, I use to never carry but after being shot early this year and paralised i always have it with me! Hypermileing with hand controls sucks!

silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Wow, and I thought the local midwestern rednecks were the biggest idiots/losers.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

silversol- very sorry to hear that

Ben- silversol makes a good point. My wife and I have been planning to get our concealed carry permits next month.

Maybe a few extra large gassavers bumper stickers would help people realize that you aren't a racer. At least they haven't been ripping off/damaging your aero mods.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

I sometimes carry a high powered Stun Gun, but have been out of that habbit for a while. I think I'll keep it with me from now on, in case a situation such as that got ugly. At least I can drop a guy and get away from them.

Yes, I'm glad no one has vandalized the car... I often wonder if and when that might happen.

Where do I get gassavers bumper stickers? I'd throw one or two on their to get the point across.

B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

The bumper stickers were available a year or two ago- I don't know if they sold out or if they just aren't openly advertised for sale.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I don't know of any stickers currently available.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Is this guy still doing it?
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=11052

You could always just set some up at cafepress.

I'm not sure stickers will help. They might reduce some of the unwanted attention from one group, but attract unwanted attention from other groups.

IMO anything that makes you look abnormal will attract attention. Better to be a wolf in sheep's clothing than a sheep (or anything) in wolf's clothing... (Says the guy driving a 32 year old car.)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

Maybe one of those "fraternal order of the police" window stickers would be more wolflike.... But I'm not sure how much you'd need to donate to get one.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

As a general rule, I will write a $25 donation check to just about any charitable organization that asks for one, and when I write a check to the FOP they give me a stack of about 5 or 6 stickers.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote