The Pulse Motorcycle - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

The Pulse Motorcycle

Link here.

Also here. Cd is 0.193. CdA would be miniscule. And here. And here. Lots of pics here.

Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

Toss a turbo hayabusa engine in it, maybe it would really fly with those little wings. Humm, or combine it with this idea: (wingless jet)

But on the FE side of things... I bet the right engine in that setup would really get some awesome mileage!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
But on the FE side of things... I bet the right engine in that setup would really get some awesome mileage!
Exactly. The only thing stopping that from getting 100mpg is the right engine/gearing. It was built 20 years ago with a 1000cc engine. It should really have at most a 660cc EFI engine like mine.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Put that 113 horsepower turbodiesel that GM uses in its Opels in that thing. 120+ mpg, 0-60 mph in 5 seconds, 200+ mph(with right gearing) easily.

The Opel Eco Speedster concept that uses that engine got 97 mpg, 0-60 mph in 8 seconds, top speed of 160 mph. This had a .20 drag coefficient, 1,500 pounds weight, and 16 square foot frontal area. So this bike would do much better, with less weight and greatly reduced frontal area.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Put that 113 horsepower turbodiesel that GM uses in its Opels in that thing. 120+ mpg, 0-60 mph in 5 seconds, 200+ mph(with right gearing) easily.

The Opel Eco Speedster concept that uses that engine got 97 mpg, 0-60 mph in 8 seconds, top speed of 160 mph. This had a .20 drag coefficient, 1,500 pounds weight, and 16 square foot frontal area. So this bike would do much better, with less weight and greatly reduced frontal area.
Yes, it would. I love the speedster. Unfortunately no car company has yet had the guts to really go with the low-Cd concept, all they do is put out a concept car.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira
It was built 20 years ago with a 1000cc engine.
The funny thing is that 1000cc is the same size as my car's engine! I'll bet you could get some amazing speeds out of that thing as well.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
The funny thing is that 1000cc is the same size as my car's engine! I'll bet you could get some amazing speeds out of that thing as well.
Yes, top end speed should be nuts with the right engine.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Here is the website of the Pulse owners club. they had had various engines put into them over the years, including one that was converted to electric.
http://www.autocycles.org/index.html

And now for something totally different. They claimed this 4 seater car would get 120MPG using a ducted fan for normal driving and an electric drive for low speed and urban driving.
http://www.autocycles.org/car.html
Old 06-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
Here is the website of the Pulse owners club. they had had various engines put into them over the years, including one that was converted to electric.
http://www.autocycles.org/index.html

And now for something totally different. They claimed this 4 seater car would get 120MPG using a ducted fan for normal driving and an electric drive for low speed and urban driving.
http://www.autocycles.org/car.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Who [URL="http://www.autocycles.org/substelny.html"
Remembers[/URL] Bede Car] As shown in the brochure, the front wheels were enclosed in tight fenders. In order to steer the car, panels in the fenders would expand outward. These panels are clearly visible in the first picture on the back side of the brochure.
Note that this does the same exact thing as compaq888 and I reinvented on GS.org!!!!

It's crazy... anyone remember playing the commodore 64 game that featured another of Jim Bede's designs, a small, aerobatic airplane that looks like a pulse? It was called the bd-5 apparently. The name of the game was "Acrojet".

I love this site, I find it crazy that there are other people out there just as insanely obsessed with FE as I am!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Anyone know the Cd of the Bede car?

With some work, it would make an excellent kit car to put on a Fiero, VW Bug, or Chevy S10 with some chassis modifications.

To get 120 mpg at 55 mph, this thing would have to have a Cd*A in the 3.0 region with that engine and hybrid drive. It doesn't look that aerodynamically efficient, but then again, determining Cd of a car by looking at it isn't very accurate at all.

Say it does have those Cd specifications. Imagine that on a sturdy S10 chassis with 2,000 pounds of golf cart batteries and an electric drive. 200+ miles range, and realistically could be built for under $15k. The big difficulty would by modifying the body to make room for all those batteries. Perhaps heighten the car some and sink all the batteries to ther floor underneath the passengers. Might increase frontal area by 2-3 square feet, but would certainly be worth it for both having a higher driving profile(safer) and having the ability to make a long range pure EV without need for advanced batteries.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote