The single most important improvement to FE you can ever do. FREE. - Page 10 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2man View Post
My Cavalier has an automatic transmission, so I always coast in neutral with the engine on - uncalibrated ScanGuage II reporting 0.4 gph. I've got an ~ .2mi coast to my office at 25mph, so I shut the engine off the other day, just to see what the SG would read.

0 gph, 0rpm, 0tps, and 9999mpg.

Boy, that felt good. I wish I had a manual trannie, but I have to settle for 150mpg with the engine running.

Thanks for bumpin' the thread, CO
Well, let's bump one more time, 9 months since last bump.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #92
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Peakster - Unfortunately, riding my bike doesn't help me to get on the top-10-list here.

It will if you use a stationary bike to juice up the car battery .

CarloSW2
or make a pedal/ICE hybrid!

-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #93
Registered Member

I think you can adjust your Scan Guage to read 0.0mpg if you set it to "hybrid"
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #94
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
I think you can adjust your Scan Guage to read 0.0mpg if you set it to "hybrid"
I thinks it's the other way; not set for hybrid gives zero mpg and set on hybrid gives 9999mpg. If an ICE car is not set for hybrid the ScanGauge does not credit the miles while coasting with engine off ( thought the ignition switch still needs to be in the on position; just switch it off long enough to kill the engine and switch back on without bumping the starter.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #95
Registered Member

If I cut my engine of I lose my steering. Will DFCO make up for your engine not being off?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #96
Registered Member

You should only lose power assist. More effort will be needed to steer the vehicle, but not overly much if you are rolling at near highway speed. Vehicles with electric power steering could in theory retain power assist with the engine off and key in the on position, but that depends on how the manufacturer sets things up.

Another "warning": you will also lose the power brake assist after some number of brake applications with the engine off. Again, they will still work but just require a bit more muscle.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #97
Registered Member

Not sure if it was said already, but for thoes who turn the engine off, what about brake boosters and power steering being disabled? Also what method do you use to restart the engine? Clutch? Ignition switch?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #98
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
When I cut my engine off, I do so with the understanding I have one brake application. I have an automatic so I restart in neutral.I just do this when approaching a light and a 50% chance that I'm going to have to stop.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Limited View Post
Not sure if it was said already, but for thoes who turn the engine off, what about brake boosters and power steering being disabled?
Try it on a back road or large parking lot late at night. Honestly, everyone should have some sort of understanding how their car will behave if their engine ever should happen to stall while driving.

Just get going at a speed you are comfortable with, put it in neutral and cut the ignition then turn the key back to run (so the steering wheel doesn't lock). Except for older Citroen's (which had a totally weird brake system), I am not aware of any designs that would render the controlls useless in the event of an engine stall (for obvious reasons!) but try this first in a safe location, just in case!

To get a feel for the brakes without power assist, you will need to tap the brake pedal a number of times after shutting the engine off in order to bleed off the reserve vacuum boost. The pedal should feel like a rock. Be prepared for the brakes to require a significantly higher force to work without power assist. The loss of power steering is immediate but the increase in effort while the car is moving is generally not as much as in the brakes. Steering will get harder at slower speeds though and can be rather difficult when stopped.

I have driven cars with the power steering and/or power brakes intentionally disabled at various times. It is entirely do-able if you are aware of what to expect from the controlls and drive appropriately. Of course, YMMV, be safe and do this entirely at your own risk.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #100
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Nice to see the same ol' crowd is still posting on here. I only read half this thread, but to me the salient point is what is the difference between EOC and engine on coasting. How much fuel would you use going down the hill with the engine on and coasting in neutral verse the engine on and engine breaking (which if I understand right, above a certain RPM, uses no fuel)

Also, I made a post awhile ago about what route would produce the best FE. I postulated two theories: one, where the route has a very steep incline and then a very gradual decline (my hypothesis is that this would be best for a one way trip (but terrible going back the same way) and that a slight incline up and a slight incline down would be best for a roundtrip route. Does anyone want to weigh in on this?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote