The_Last_SL1 gets modded! (slowly) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Post The_Last_SL1 gets modded! (slowly)

Hey everybody! Well, I finally got the time/energy/gumption to get started getting The_Last_SL1 up to snuff in the GasSavers world.
  • Tires up to 45 PSI. - Done
  • Removed antenna, plan to relocate under the plastic trim along the windshield.
  • Purchased a great little mirror from Wal-Mart (see attached pic). I plan on getting a second one. I'll upload a pic of how they're attached (hopefully tonight). On Saturday, planning on going to the local junkyard to get some black plastic body panels from a dead Saturn; I'll use them to cut triangles to cover the existing mirror mounts.
  • Lawn Edging at Home Depot is about $14 for a 20' roll. I'm going to get a roll to make a homemade airdam and hopefully side skirts. Pics to follow! Attached is a quick sketch of my idea. The Lawn Edging has some sort of lip along it, I suppose to keep it from coming out of the ground, I will use Stainless Steel screws to attach to the bodywork of the Saturn.
  • Hopefully at the junkyard, I can find enough Saturn plastic to make some nice rear wheel skirts (I think that's the word).
  • Still planning an engine start button and kill button.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Driving on E

nice! I'll be watching this thread

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Supporting Member

cant wait to see the results. im thinking of doing aero myself because im at a platue of fe gains from driveing technics
Old 05-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Well, just picked up a second mirror at Wal-Mart. Once mounting them on the windshield (I promise I'll post pics) I realized they they "sag" in the heat of the sun. My co-pilot (I carpool with him) suggested clothes-pins mounted to the A-Pillar to keep them from drooping. I just put some 3M double-sided tape on a pair and will mount them today. Hopefully it works! (Again, yes, I know, I WILL post pics )

I also got the Lawn Edging from Home Depot for $14 for a 20 foot roll. Very heavy duty stuff, they had several grades available, I chose the heaviest to keep it from being deformed by the air pressure at 65 MPH. So this weekend I'll get under the nose of the Saturn and get the Air Dam built. If I have enough time and material, I'll take a shot at side skirts too!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Okay, today I've got time to work on the Saturn! Finally! I will (yes, WILL) post pics today!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
FE nut

Here's a thought for the side skirts: Go to the junkyard and find a car that's the same color as yours and use the door panels for the skirting. My $.02 worth.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Supporting Member

Well, the weekend didn't go as planned, ended up taking dad to the ER with a sprained ankle, had to go get a new grill as the old one died, and overslept too!

Anyhow, I did get an old door panel from another Saturn (white though) and cut out a piece to replace the Passenger Mirror. Just got to paint it and mount it with the stainless steel screws I bought.

Antenna did get relocated! Just unbolted the right front fender and the trim over the right front door. Took out the front bolt on the antenna bracket and tilted it back, covered it up with the trim over the door. No more visible antenna!

Also you will see shots of my internal mirrors I bought. Soon I'll get those exterior ones off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260012 (Medium).JPG
Views:	263
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	446   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260013 (Medium).JPG
Views:	294
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	447   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260014 (Medium).JPG
Views:	290
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	448   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260015 (Medium).JPG
Views:	343
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	449   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260016 (Medium).JPG
Views:	313
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	450  

Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Here's a thought for the side skirts: Go to the junkyard and find a car that's the same color as yours and use the door panels for the skirting. My $.02 worth.
Interesting idea diamondlarry, now that I am better at working with Saturn plastic, that just might work. Just need a black or charcoal grey Saturn now!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Cool beans!

Hey I just saw this thread, and wondered how good the field of view is with those interior mirrors. I have little convex stick ons on my side mirrors since I'm paranoid and need to see everything around me.
I like the look of this mod, and was considering it instead of one of those huge wink mirrors.
Looking good Dude
Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic20 View Post
Hey I just saw this thread, and wondered how good the field of view is with those interior mirrors. I have little convex stick ons on my side mirrors since I'm paranoid and need to see everything around me.
I like the look of this mod, and was considering it instead of one of those huge wink mirrors.
Looking good Dude
Thanks! I almost forgot I had this thread!!! Bad OdieTurbo! Anyhow, I can see a car about 10 feet off my back bumper all the to parallel to me so they've got darn near 90 degrees of coverage! I'll post some new pics so you can see better.