Three Wheel Modification - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Three Wheel Modification

I've always wondered what the overall impact would be of modifying an old Geo Metro to have a single rear wheel. Front wheel drive means no powertrain mods. Fiberglass for new panels I suppose. Need to proportion it properly for stability. Be a lot of work so probably not even close to being worth it, but it's entertaining to speculate.

You'd have less weight, but would you have more air resistance from the wheels not being in line? A car with a single driven rear wheel wouldn't need a differential, but that's a slightly different scenario.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i would put that rear wheel back further and make the car tear shaped so it would have much better fuel economy. i would also move the rear wheel further back to put more weight on the front tires, especially for turning as the rear is not going to do anything for body roll anymore....

Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

I am actually contemplating the same thing with a 1971 VW karmann Ghia. I have the car, fairly solid but front and rear have rust and bondo. I also have a 600 CC Kubota diesel and a 1000 CC Yanmar, 16 and 25 HP respectively. There are some old 300ZX turbos at my old shop that no one wants.

I haven't decided which way to go with it. My preference would be two of my hydraulic ivt's, one for each rear wheel.

The second would be a single rear wheel because it would only require one hydraulic iv with a trailing arm like a motorcycle and one fairly large rear tire.

The body will be highly modified, to a very aero shape, with a boattail rear end.

In Viriginia if its a 3 wheeler it is considered a motorcycle so it could only have one headlight.

regards
gary
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i would put that rear wheel back further and make the car tear shaped so it would have much better fuel economy. i would also move the rear wheel further back to put more weight on the front tires, especially for turning as the rear is not going to do anything for body roll anymore....
I've always thought a teardrop shape with a driven rear wheel with a rear engine and the trunk up front was an ideal arrangement. You get the teardrop shape and have the trunk's depth for a crumple zone. And no differential required for the single driven wheel.

Can't carry stuff hanging out the trunk, but that's what a trailer (or just renting a truck) could be for.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Great pictures, theclencher! Any word on how it handles or the new mpg? I'm curious what's going on inside that trunk with the wheel right there.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

At least I know now that the idea is possible. I have a bit of a thing for three wheelers.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

My favorite three wheeler is the 1956 Heinkel Kabine. Sort of a cross between an Isetta and a Messerschmitt. Imagine the crash safety is zero, of course.

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/heinkel.html

co de pen den cy

Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

How do you think a three wheeler would be in snow? I had a 4wd truck and when operating in 2WD it'd skid a bit when (I assume) one of the driving wheels would come off the ground momentarily. With three wheels you can't get onto two wheels short of going over a jump, could you? I guess a single driven rear wheel would eliminate that problem entirely.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hadn't considered the new track angle. I get a ton of snow where I am as well. Mostly I just stay in when it's coming down heavily and stick to the state highways (MUCH better plowed than the town roads). We have a micro-climate in my town that dumps a ton on us. Good for the ski slopes, though!

co de pen den cy

Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hmmm...Vigilante vs. Kabine. I'm guessing you'd get way more chicks.

co de pen den cy