time to tune it up - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

time to tune it up

Its time to tune up my 93 civic dx thats at 120,000m. Ive always tended to buy Bosch parts when available. I read some posts talking about Walker O2 sensors then did some price comps and noticed they are noticeably cheaper. Is there any real advantage to using genuine honda parts? Any and all advice on this subject is appreciated. At 120,000, is there something above the "normal" tuneup I might want to do? I did adjust the valves recently (and it did make a big difference! Probably never been done before.), new coolant. I have bought parts online (Rockauto, A1). Know of any better ones? Thanks!
Rick

Civicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

How long has it been since it had a new timing belt?

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Did that last winter. Replaced the waterpump too while I was in there.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

I just did a tune up on Saturday. Call me cheap but I just go with Pep Boy parts.

A lot of Honda guys swear only by OEM parts but with how light I run my car I don't see any issues with Pep Boy parts.

You plan to change the fuel filter too?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1 View Post
I just did a tune up on Saturday. Call me cheap but I just go with Pep Boy parts.

A lot of Honda guys swear only by OEM parts but with how light I run my car I don't see any issues with Pep Boy parts.

You plan to change the fuel filter too?
I think the only time I ever used OEM parts on a tune-up was maybe the first time I did a tune-up on my then-new '78 Yamaha XS-400. Otherwise it was K-Mart, Chief, Trak, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. Everything was always just fine, except Champion plugs didn't last as long back in the day as other brands. If I had to pick a brand of plugs, it was usually NGK.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Did that last winter too. I will tell ya one problem Im having: I cant find the pcv valve. Other cars Ive worked on it was usually pretty obvious. I checked the manual against the car, looked for hoses cut where they shouldnt be. Wouldnt it be right around the valve cover somewhere? I bought a new one that Im pretty sure was for the car. I know Ive lost all respect but please pity the ignorant!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Find a Carquest or Napa. Buy NGK Plugs only and the better wires not the cheapest ones from Autozone or Pep there crap. The Carquest and Napa stuff are Wix filters which are darn good filters.

korax123 is offline   Reply With Quote