tips for cavaliers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
anyone know how to make your windshield wipers stay vertical on these cars?
* you could put a manual switch in the line going to the motor and shut them off when vertical.

* the wiper motor has a set of contacts in it...if it's like the ones I've seen...that park the wipers down on the cowl....you could modify this?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

several people have said that I won't get a lot from the vertical wiper thing. It is still a possibility but for now it is on the back burner. I have found out that basic maintenance is getting me pretty good results. I have always been one to change my oil and to change it regularly. I never really did the fuel filter thing or the spark plugs (came from a famil that traded at 100k or 4yrs). I recently changed my fuel filter and sprayed the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. I am not done with the tank yet but I can tell there is an improvement (gas log will follow with next fill up). I intend to change my plugs next and maybe my plug wires.

also grill block going on this weekend. hopefully at the beginning of the next tank or so.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Registered Member

The fact that you are thinking about it and hopefully changing your driving style will gain you the most improvement. Other than that, the easier things to do are air pressure adjustments, and coasting in neutral as much as you can. I usually accelerate 5-10 mph as I crest a hill and coast until I am 5 below the limit and then put it back in drive and creep back up to the speed limit. I need a five speed bad. This three speed auto is really holding me back.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Registered Member

the tire air pressure trick makes me thing that the tires are going to wear out faster and the neutral trick makes me worry about the tranny.

I do care about the planet and all but it is stupid to save a few miles to the gallon if I am going to have to replace tires twice as fast and have to replace a trans because of it. I may just be peranoid too.

I am really hoping that the summer weather helps me out too. I live in north carolina and we see 100 deg weather during the summers (not much) so my mileage should be better.

even I will say that the 3 spd is a dog. that extra gear makes a lot of difference. that being said, I wouldn't mind a 5spd either. I have one in my truck but it gets 18 to the gal. built for speed not mileage.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
My 02 Cavalier is loving the warmer weather;averaged 37mpg today and got my tank mileage back up to over 35mpg. I do have a 4 speed automatic and Raleigh is a bit less hilly than Reidsville.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Registered Member

The wiper motor will have an internal switch with a cam that breaks the circuit when the arms are in the park position. You can disable this so that the wipers shut off at any position.
GasSavers_rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
Registered Member

Turn the ignition switch off with the wipers running, on many cars they will stop where they are. Turn off the wiper switch after the ignition switch.

regards
gary
Old 04-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
Registered Member

sorry it doesn't work on my Honda.

regards
gary
Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

I recalibrated my scangauge and now it is saying that I am getting 34 or so for the tank. I figure it will take a few tanks to get the calibration right. especially since I keep doing things to the car.

update: changed plugs, wires, installed grill block.

I did all this tonight so it is hard to tell what difference it made. I filled up today but am too lazy to go out to the car and get my gas log. I will probably do this monday.

hateful, do you have any tricks specific to the cavs? you seem to be doing pretty well at 35ish and how do you see the tire pressure thing?

Old 04-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I have my air intake rerouted to an after market air filter right by the exhaust manifold for warm air. I started with a grill block that grew into a rather silly looking nose extension/air dam; for which I get many looks. The underside is screened with window screen and partly painted. Wheel wells are partly covered;more in the back than front. I made side skirts that hang from the lip weld along the sides.Hub caps are taped up closing all the holes and painted. All this done with soda bottles and cans and duck tape. I did replace my rear duck tape wheel well covers with fake leather from an old sun roof cover.

I have my tires at 44psi.That was one of the first things that helped my MPG.

I watch the scangauge all the time and I do cut the engine off for lights.
BTW; if you are coasting with the engine off,the scangauge has to be set for HYBRID and the ignition switched to ON position to give credit for the extra distance.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote