Tips to avoid grocery store runs - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Basmati is good, I cook that when I want to make white rice. I usually go for the long grain brown rice though as it has more fiber. Plus with the rice cooker its not hard to cook at all, the cooker takes care of it automatically. There's nothing I hate more than over/undercooked rice.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I didn't grow up with rice, and I love it. My mother thought that rice was what "poor people ate". Yeah, well, so was lobster at one time. Such craziness.
lol

Fajita meat used to be the throw-away meat from the cow. Now it's one of the most expensive cuts of meat.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Plus with the rice cooker its not hard to cook at all, the cooker takes care of it automatically. There's nothing I hate more than over/undercooked rice.
I have a friend who used minute rice all the time, and I all but forced him to get a rice cooker. He loves it now. Wish it could be used as a slow cooker too to cut down on gadget count.

I recently got one of those self-stirring cooking pots. Chef-Stir I think was the name. It actually works quite well! Wish it was a little bigger, though. I am lazy, I admit it.

My cooking is the culinary equivalent of meatball surgery.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Fajita meat used to be the throw-away meat from the cow. Now it's one of the most expensive cuts of meat.
Neato. I always like to try new foods. I don't always like them, but how do you know beforehand? I didn't wind up having Indian food until I was 30. Now it's my favorite cuisine! That's how I got into batch cooking as Indian food lends itself to freezing pretty well. The nearest place is 1.5 hrs away.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Minute rice and Uncle Ben's are so processed so they can cook quickly that they have almost no nutritional value. I hate using that stuff.

I use my rice cooker as a rice cooker (Duh!), a vegetable steamer, and I have used it to cook side dishes like Rice-a-Roni. I've been tempted to see if I could do Kraft Mac & Cheese in it, but I haven't been that adventurous (yet).

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote