Tire pressure gauges... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow
Thumbs up Tire pressure gauges...

What do you use to make sure yer pressures are even? How accurate is the gauge yer using?

I have always been a fan of the dial gauges...I've owned 2 different Accu-Gages over the years. My current one is a Accu-gage EZ Air that I got fer about $20 shipped. Nice to check the pressure and air up/down without the chuck/gauge/chuck swap that most people do.

Well...I found the perfect system now...the PsiClops gauges/system... I just ordered the Extreme along with the adapter and it should be here by Monday or so. So now I should be able to check all the tires on both vehicles in a few minutes each time instead of the tedious task fer 8 tires which will balloon to 12 tires once the daughter gits her own car.

Comments?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

mine is not that fancy but the gauge only goes up to 60 psi which I like because it is much easier to read than the ones that go to 150 or so.

I do like the features of that one. I paid next to nothing for mine, 5 bucks if I remember right.

*edit* I just looked at your second link. is it really that important to get both the tires at exactly the same pressure? i could understand if you were racing because races are won in tenths if not hundreths of a second.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #3

I guess we all have our own peccadillos. Mine is exactness in measuring out beer recipes.

I have a variety of gaues in the cars, in the garage, and down in the shed. They're all approximately within a pound or two. As long as the tires aren't way low and they are the same at each end, I'm happy.

To each their own... It's good to have nice tools, though.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow
Just looking fer consistencies in tire pressures...and less work per tire when checking/airing them up...especially if yer doing a lot of them.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The Accu-gage EZ Air reminds me of the inflator attachment I often use:

You press the lever and it inflates, then when you let go of the lever a telescoping gauge pops out. It's not extremely accurate but I don't care to be extremely accurate.

However, I've frankensteined mine into an easier, more useful condition. That nozzle-ended pipe is a pretty decent way to put air in a tire for a few seconds, and is a necessary evil for inflating the inside tires on a dually, but what's better is having an end that locks on to the valve stem like the Accu-gage EZ Air has on one end. What's even better than that is having a quick-connect fitting and the easy ability to use either fitting, as well as a longer hose.

So, I clip it on to the valve stem and then I can stand up, operating the lever until I'm where I want to be. If I need to inflate a dually (I never do anymore), I can still attach the stiff nozzle instead. Once I'm done I check with a digital gauge.

I agree with BEEF, I don't find it important to be that perfectly accurate from one tire to the next.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

I just use the digital gauge on my tire inflator. Set it to a couple of pounds over what I want it on auto because it drops back a couple when the pump shuts off.

Speaking of such things, anyone know where to get a decent foot pump these days???
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

HC,

i like that particular air accessary. how much was yours, and does it stay relatively accurate?

asking 'cause my retired air craft mechanic father-in-law claims that the cheap plastic ones lose accuracy and should be replaced regularly.

can't think of a more important tire to maintain than those on a jet/airplane.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
They're inexpensive. I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, though I've never specifically tried to verify it. Mine is from Harbor Freight and probably cost less than $5, but one made by Campbell Hausfeld is still under $20 no matter where you buy it.

There's a variety under $10 at Harbor Freight:
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...huck&Submit=Go
Actually, there's one that looks just like the Accu-gage EZ Air for $8.

Northern Tool has a variety of them at vastly differing prices:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

Both have this locking nozzle that I forgot about but is quite nice:

That nozzle slips on and latches itself to the valve automatically, then you press the release to remove it. It's even nicer than what I use.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

I like the digital tire gauges myself. I've been using the same one for years.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Registered Member

HC,

thanks, great links!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote