tire warped because of too much psi - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

It was probably the combination of old cheap tires and me hitting a bump or pothole hard.

Also, I may have put them at 55psi in a cold temperature and the warmth might have raised the psi even more. Is that a possibility?

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #12
*shrug*

The cold/warm difference is rather larger, I would figure it could be a large factor in this case. I always try to warm up my tires before giving them air for this reason.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #13
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Erm, if you're going off some max psi limit you've set then check warm; otherwise tire psi is checked cold.
I check mine warm because I would like them to be running at 50 PSI regardless of outside temperature, and it's just easier to actually see where they are running than to play temperature guess work, but that's just me.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

Woah, that's some crazy photos. I'd definitely say those look like cheap-o tires.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr View Post
I was just messing with it and I heard some liquid sloshing around inside. Whats up with that?
Is it clear like water, or is it milky? If milky, it could be a tire sealant used by the previous owner.
Dynamically Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hey is it me or are those tire really rounded from sidewall to sidewall?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #17
Registered Member

Thumbs down Failed Dunlop

I had a normally-pressurized Dunlop SP20 fail on me once. 1000 miles on my new '97 Civic DX, 70 on the Interstate, and Ka-Blooey! Had to regain control of the car and pull over.

The tire completely separated into 2 pieces: 3/4 of the tread portion, and 1/4 of the sidewall in a completely even separation. No previous damage, no warning. I investigated it and it looked like a weak manufacturing process where the sidewall met the tread. No warranty coverage - Dunlop Corp. lawyers calling instead of customer service. It happened on the July 4th weekend, so getting to work, my spare wore-out and I had to buy another tire out-of-pocket when the tire-shop opened, and bought salvage tire/rim for a full-sized spare.

I vowed never to buy Dunlop again, and haven't since.

I sent the tire to them for analysis and never heard back (despite my several calls and threats to report to the BBB, Attorney Genl., etc.) Pics are documented.

LSS - the tire failed from within: bubbled and weakened at a seam. Water can do it, striking a hard surface/object can, overpressurization. But I've seen many name brand, normal-pressure tires bust belts prematurely as well. It's a crap shoot.

RH77
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #18
Registered Member

Wow.. that is pretty crazy. It is also enough to keep me from messing with my pressures at all. I am not even sure WHAT the brand of my tires is. I can only guess that they are the cheapest money can buy. A $4000 (new) car has to cut corners somewhere... or rather everywhere in the case of my car.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

This is one of those things where you really do get what you pay for most of the time. The speed rating of the tire is going to tell you the most about it's overall durability.

That doesn't mean that one needs so called 'high performance' tires, but given what appear to be similar tires in every other respect, the tire with the higher speed rating is probably going to hold up to other abuses better. The cheapest brand at the store is priced that way for a reason!

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #20
Registered Member

Speed rating may indicate ruggedness of the carcass but is not a good indicator of tread life.

Kickfilpjr, wow, that is crazy. Glad you and your car didn't have a blowout...