To those who have used COROPLAST - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

To those who have used COROPLAST

I've been looking online at Lowes.com and Homedepot.com and it appears they don't offer sheets of Corrugated Plastic for sale.

Where do I locate this stuff? I'm planning to make my grill block, and rear wheel skirts soon and I keep seeing everyone's mod pics where they've used coroplast.... what is a good source for this stuff?

There are some "Custom Sign/Trophy" shops near my area, should I check them out?

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Sign shop is the way to go to get Coroplast, or wait until campaign season is doen and grab the Coroplast signs.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

hmm kinda the same idea so im gonan hijack your thread

well im plannign to build a hardtop toneau cover(i know i know not as light as a fabric one but 100X more secure meaning i can feel safe leaving expensive items under it) and im going to build the frame out of aluminum or steel angle iron, but im tryign to figure out whats the best top covering, either thin sheetmetal(strongest) aluminum(light but very expensive in large sheets, and would also have to be thick to get equal strength) or a large thicker sheet of plastic, what kind of plastic is strongest thats also the thinnest and cheaper or as cheap as steel? doesnt matter if its clear or not, gonna paint it all anyways has to be somewhat rigid (im making underside support braces but obviously has to span like 1.5 - 2ft gaps.)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I've been looking online at Lowes.com and Homedepot.com and it appears they don't offer sheets of Corrugated Plastic for sale.

Where do I locate this stuff? I'm planning to make my grill block, and rear wheel skirts soon and I keep seeing everyone's mod pics where they've used coroplast.... what is a good source for this stuff?

There are some "Custom Sign/Trophy" shops near my area, should I check them out?
The only place I've found it was in a Michael's Arts and Crafts store. (they sell dried flowers and unpainted birdhouses and "Crafty" stuff.) But it was small (24"x36") sheets. The local sign shop said they could order it "but it ain't gonna be cheap" I think that means he's gonna mark it up a lot. I'd check a couple of them and then play them against each other, the place I checked is the only sign shop within an hour in any direction.

Good luck and let me know where you find it here in the states, it is great stuff.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
hmm kinda the same idea so im gonan hijack your thread

well im plannign to build a hardtop toneau cover(i know i know not as light as a fabric one but 100X more secure meaning i can feel safe leaving expensive items under it) and im going to build the frame out of aluminum or steel angle iron, but im tryign to figure out whats the best top covering, either thin sheetmetal(strongest) aluminum(light but very expensive in large sheets, and would also have to be thick to get equal strength) or a large thicker sheet of plastic, what kind of plastic is strongest thats also the thinnest and cheaper or as cheap as steel? doesnt matter if its clear or not, gonna paint it all anyways has to be somewhat rigid (im making underside support braces but obviously has to span like 1.5 - 2ft gaps.)
Home Depot has 4x8 sheets of shower wall, it's just heavy plastic. It's smooth and would paint well if prepped to take paint. I'd rather have coroplast myself. It's pretty rigid. If you go to the Post Office and look at the milk jug colored sorting bins they have, that's coroplast with a wire frame at the top. They last for years and take a lot of abuse.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Sign shop is the way to go to get Coroplast, or wait until campaign season is doen and grab the Coroplast signs.
ah yes, the freebie. got mine at a hotel convention. here's the funny thing: i didn't even attend. got it while making a delivery!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

My girlfriend's brother-in-law owns a sign shop so that is where I got mine.

I paid $15 for each 4' x 8' sheet.

I also got some after campaign season last year for free.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

They also sell Coroplast at plastics supply houses (look up plastics supply in the phone book). This is the same place that sells the 4'x8' sheets of plexiglass, polyethylene, PVC, etc. Since this is where the sign shops buy their Coroplast from, you can usually get it cheaper if you get straight from the source.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

I paid $30 for a 4x8 foot sheet at a sign shop. Spent the whole summer retaping duct tape weekly, sometimes daily. If you're gonna use coroplast please consider something more durable than duct tape for fastening.

Next project I bought a sheet of 2.7 mm. lauan plywood for $7.xx at my local hardware store. Also bought a quart of oil-base house primer and a couple cheapo foam brushes. I haven't seen any deterioration and I put that sheet on the front of the car at the end of September. However the finish paint coat has been taking a beating, I have to admit.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinchsidehop View Post
Home Depot has 4x8 sheets of shower wall, it's just heavy plastic. It's smooth and would paint well if prepped to take paint. I'd rather have coroplast myself. It's pretty rigid. If you go to the Post Office and look at the milk jug colored sorting bins they have, that's coroplast with a wire frame at the top. They last for years and take a lot of abuse.
i need it liek 5X6 tho, size of my bed or thereabouts, i want to make it one big smooth sheet but i may have to divide it up somehow if cost/availability becomes and issue.

is that shower wall stuff pretty ridid tho? can it withstand at least a foot of snow on it?, hot temps, cold temps, strong enough to resist shattering/cracking if something gets dropped on it? I think I know the stuff ur talkin about but i thought it was too flexable... i dunno ill look around.

One of my friends dads works at a machineing place and they can get huge sheets but its liek 4X8 or somehitng. there is a plastic supply store down the road i could pop into sometime, but i still dunno whats the bets plastic to use for my situation(ie extreme weather, possible impacts, lotsa weight)

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote